A couple questions for ya
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A couple questions for ya

First ones for those who harmonically mix.

What keys do you normally start your set in, and if your having trouble hooking a few dancers is there specfic keys you travel towards?

This is more from a vibrational perspective then anything else really, so I'm not looking for negative nancys to comment.

Is is possible for me to run my mixer back into the soundcard to record in traktor or would be running into garage band be sufficient?

All winners are welcome.

negative nancy here without an answer to any of the questions posed by sarcastic susan. but i would be interested in listening to someone's "pitch-structured" mix if you will, for lack of a better name.

EDIT: the better name is, in fact, harmonic mixing.
    Last edited by mattcheau; 03-25-2011 at 04:46 AM.

ctrld

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Leo View Post
    What keys do you normally start your set in, and if your having trouble hooking a few dancers is there specfic keys you travel towards?
    no. I start with the song I want to start my set with, no matter what key it's in - and from then on, I improvise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Leo View Post
    Is is possible for me to run my mixer back into the soundcard to record in traktor or would be running into garage band be sufficient?
    I'd say that depends on the mixer and the audio interface. traktor has a recording option, so all you need is a separate main mixer out and a spare stereo in on your soundcard.

Tech Mentor

i never start on a specific key or work towards any, i tend to notice club tunes are in the 10a to 12b and my funky stuff tend to be in the 7a region, but that might just be co-insadence, that might just show my ears are harmonic and the tunes i like and download are of very similar keys, i when i do a mix, i pick a tune i like and can either work up the key scale or down makes no difference + i record my set through garage band atm and it runs fine, easy to use and awsom sound quality
    Music is Life. Life is Evissa.

http://www.mix.dj/viral-player/0/steeshuk.html

Tech Guru

it doesnt matter what key you start in...thats the beauty of harmonic mixing, if you stick to the 'rules' its easy to change if needs be. Can't say ive found a particular key that makes people dance.

as has also prob already been said, you can use the 7/8 inputs to record with traktor, its dead easy
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I am very interested in peoples insight on this. Dont be afraid to post.

I got an Audio 8DJ so I'm going to try the ins on that later just to see how it goes. Glad to know someone has made some good sounding mixes with the garage band setup. Perf.

I would think that different keys would give different feelings but I guess you need to factor in BPM and rhythm to develop a better understanding of how people will respond to the music. Even the energy the person mixing creates would be considered too.

I'd like to see more opinions from people.

The way energy is structured in the human body is similiar to the C-Major Scale.

Whoever is watching this thread and have there music organized based on the Camelot Wheel I want you to give the following a try:

When I get mixing later today I'm going to take a half hour and progress through this progression through the camelot wheel, so if anyones bored, give it a try and let me know your results:

8B 10B 12B 7B 9B 11B 1B and repeat.

I'm just straight up experimenting here. It might sounds like dick. I'm just trying to look at things from a different perspective and seeing what happens.

Feel free to roast as necessary.

My setup is cdj800-audio8-denonx120-RCA out into Imac/split going to stereo. As long as I keep the master out in the green the mix should sound fine played on a loud speaker? You know, as long as my mixing is clean and whatnot.

Thanks for the response everyone.

Sorry for the double post but a few more things real quick:

It be really easy to have traktor recording internal as I mix, but how does that affect performance? I wouldn't want to jeopardize traktors stability. It would be awesome to keep your live mixes though.

I'll be recording at least 1 mix this weekend so I'll let you know what route I tried and you guys can let me know how it sounds.

sarcastic susan

I don't use the Camelot Wheel but actual keys instead, and from what I know about the wheel all you appear to be doing is mixing in perfect thirds or triads. ex.) Cm to Em to Gm and then you threw in a 6th and back down the thirds again.

Not going to test it, but should sounds fine. I prefer thirds and fifths all the time.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

You can record into Traktor's recorder easily. I have mine going into line-in D on the Audio8, even though I used 4 deck mixing. The ins and outs are independent of each other.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

If you have an audio 8 use channels 7-8 using your rec out on the mixer.. captures all your filters etc... Harmonic Mixing i tend to start with any i don't really matter i don't religiously start at 1 and work my way up... Just go with the flow i can do a full set using 5A or 6A then another could be right round the wheel!
    Currently in the lab - Technics 2010 mk2 x 2, CDJ400 x 2, Pioneer DJM600, Behringer DDM4000, Serato, Samsung Laptop i3 Win 7, Pioneer HDJ2000
    Media - Catch my show every Sat 8pm till 10pm (GMT) on www.splashnetradio.com
    Also check out the Beatlab showcasing Blackpools Finest www.beatlab.tv
    My Soundcloud page http://soundcloud.com/djmattwheeler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast