propper use of mp3Gain - clipping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default propper use of mp3Gain - clipping

i've been using mp3gain for some time now but recently aked myself if i'm not using it in a wrong way. i've read eans blog post on this and the numberous threads that already exist on this topic but i'm still not sure about some points concerning clipping of tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by ean (blog post on mp3gain)
    Using this software is very simple. Just add files or your entire folder, analyze the tracks, choose a target volume, and apply the “track gain” to the files. I chose 96db because in Traktor, this is where the auto-gain seems to think the mp3 is closest to the desired volume and will apply less than 1db of adjustment.
    thats basically what i've done till now without caring if the tracks were red and clipping indicated in mp3gain. but i want to make sure that this has no impact on the quality of the mp3s. clipping is bad and there has to be a reason for it being indicated in mp3gain. just for clarification here's a pic showing what clipping is:

when i analize some of my track it looks like this:

as much as i understood i don't have to care about the clipping indication in the clipping column although i don't realy understand what this is meant to tell me..

now i process the files (with the avoid clipping option on) and it looks like this:

you see the two tracks with the clipping indication in the clip track column were changed (1st from 94.2db to 92.7db, 2nd from 97.1db to 94.1db) but not to the targeted volume of 95db. this is a little confusing to me. does it mean that those tracks were already too loud and now were set down in volume to avoid the loudest part being cut? if so, what should i do with this tracks now as they are clearly quieter then the others and i'll just have to boost them up with the gain on the external mixer and thats basically what i want to avoid and therefore use mp3gain.

i would appreciate if someone could shed some light on this as normalizing mp3s is a recurring process and i don't want to do anything wrong there.

this has been bugging me to.
    Become a Fan, And View My Latest Mixes | DJTT Chatroom (FB)
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    If the pack of lions are in sync then they're not real lions so it doesn't count.

push push..

i got the impression that quite a lot djtt useres use mp3gain so fopefully someone can help us here.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

hmmm, why is the gain showed as a positive value?

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    hmmm, why is the gain showed as a positive value?
    do you mean at the first track which was made quieter than louder? the values in the track-adjustment column show the necessary gain to reach the targeted volume. but for tracks with a yes in the clip (track) column this isn't the actual gain that will be applied (which doesn't make much sense to me..).

Tech Guru

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a love/hate relationship with Traktors auto gain feature.

Seems we are alll in the same boat then. Following this for some better understanding

As I have the same problem as the OP's 2nd example. Not on all tracks, mainly say 1 in every 25-30 analysed.

@ padi. I believe that Mp3gain also boost the volume of certain older tracks?
    dont know the technicality behind it as much as i would like to, but some older tracks in my collection that played a lot quiter have had a significant increase in volume after Mp3Gain analysation.

Cue jester watch this space.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

watching this thread, hope something gets resolved.

Although mp3gain is non-destructive, I stopped using it a long time ago. Much prefer using Traktor instead (analyse and autogain). I found the tracks that mp3gain had normalised were still too quiet and causes the waveforms to be too small to see properly. If you boosted them too much, it caused other tracks in the folder to clip too much (when using the folder batch process).

That said, it's probably quite useful for old mp3s (vinyl rips etc) rather than digital Beatport releases (which are already stupidly loud). Personally, I think your time could be better spent on tracking down better quality versions of the track instead.

But you can turn off Itunes volume normalize is that not in playback settings under preferences?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast