Sharing music between PC and Macbook... not expecting this to be easy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sharing music between PC and Macbook... not expecting this to be easy

Hey everyone!

OK I'm going to be as simple as possible.

PC: Use it for downloading music, organising music, playlists. Main source to listen to music.

Macbook Pro: Traktor, Logic, Ableton. Will be using it for making tunes and playing with tunes with my S4.

I use iTunes on both my Windows 7 (also Winamp) and Macbook machines. The Macbook is new and has no music on it. I don't let iTunes organise my music on my pc. It's all kept on a separate drive, so E:/Music/ *Genre* / *Artist* / *Album*

I like the genre folder structure as well as the Album Artist / Album structure. This is a must for my PC and has to stay the same.

I need a way to sync my music automatically to my Macbook. Playlists would also be nice but I could live with that if it wasn't possible.

I get a lot of new music regularly so manually having to select it to copy over is not a option.

I'm after a way to sync my iTunes library from my PC over to my Macbook Pro. Not links to pay software which no one has used. I'm sure someone must have the same dilemma as me :'(

PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Why not just drag the entire folder across once a week or so? Or is it that vital that tracks are up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    No chance. 200gb of music plus basic ADSL.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Why not just drag the entire folder across once a week or so? Or is it that vital that tracks are up to date?
    That ways not bad only there would be no playlists and I don't know how OS X goes about copying. Would it ask me if I want to overwrite all files? Would it be slow checking over 200gb worth of files just to find say 10 new albums? I have never used OS X before so I have no clue here.

iTunes has home sharing which would work only it doesn't automatically copy over non store bought files which is a shame.

Just don't overwrite the files so you're only transferring new files?

EDIT: whoops stupid comment, didn't read the whole thing

I've been doing something similar. Is all your music tagged correctly? I do this very dilligently, so it's pretty easy to just simply take all my music, drag it into iTunes on the Macbook, then use the iTunes tab in Traktor to sort through all your music and make different playlists on Traktor, or make playlists in iTunes itself. That's probably the simplest way I've found. Also, just make sure not to overwrite anything and you should be fine.

Tech Guru

Portable hard drive + Mac Drive or there is a way to format the drive so that both machines can view it I'm not 100% sure which format that is but a simple google search will turn up what you need. That way when you on your PC downloading stuff you simply have the drive plugged in there and then switch it over to your mac when you need it over there.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 2X Stanton STR8-80, 2X Denon DN-S700, Akai APC40 + APC20, DDM4000, KRKRokit 8, HD25-II, iPad (Touch OSC)

google "arsync os x" it's a gui for rsync. You will need to do a little setup but it is what you are looking for.

Mount your Music volume via SMB. Then use arsync to sync up your local music folder.

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post

Take look here...may be helpful: http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20590
    ------=== ===------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast