Internal Hard Drive Suggestions?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Internal Hard Drive Suggestions?

My Dell laptop is getting a bit old (almost three years now), and rather than wait for my internal hard drive to die on me (probably in the middle of a set), I'm looking to replace it with a new one.

I had been considering the Western Digital 750 GB SATA Scorpio Blue Mobile Hard Drive or the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM. But after reading through some of the reviews, I'm not sure which of the two above hard drive or any other I should consider.

Any suggestions?
    --------------------------------------------------
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,
    DJM-A9, DDJ-XP2, Sennheiser Acoustick.

Go with the seagate. I don't trust the Western Digitals

Thanks for the quick reply. Any particular reason why you don't trust Western Digital?
    2023 14" MacBook Pro M2 Max 32 GB (OS Ventura 13.5.1), Rekordbox, Technics SL-1210GRs,

i have the western digital scorpio and i believe a itajen just picked one up also ... no problems with it and it isnt loud or vibrates.
    mine for my pc his for his mac.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

My suggestion?

Go solid state.
    +Reliability, and it will really freshen up that "old" laptop that is starting to feel sluggish.

....I love solid states, lol.

I have an Agility 2, a Vertex 2, one of the newer samsungs, and two HP's, all 128gb.
    But I am weird too.

...Obviously for multiple laptops, and I always replace the optical drive with a second hard drive mod bay...

...and I have one more as a location for my Traktor "live" PC's disk image backup.

Takes like 15 minutes for windows recovery to mirror my 70gig drive from the ssd through eSATA.

Win.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 04-19-2011 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Taking out triple spacing between paragraphs. PLease stop.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

I have successfully used either Seagate or Western Digital Drives. You say your laptop is getting old. Depending on the model, some of the older Dells tend to run on the hot side. Exokinetic's recommendation is great if you can afford it. If not, I would probably shoot for a 5400 RPM drive.
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by rhombus_77 View Post
    I have successfully used either Seagate or Western Digital Drives. You say your laptop is getting old. Depending on the model, some of the older Dells tend to run on the hot side.
    I know, but I have very good laptop cooler so that's not an issue.

Exokinetic's recommendation is great if you can afford it. If not, I would probably shoot for a 5400 RPM drive.
    I thought about it, unfortunately, a SSHD is a bit much for my budget at this time.
    And why a 5400rpm drive instead of a 7200rpm drive?

Tech Wizard

if you go seagate, STAY AWAY FROM THE 7200.11 SERIES
    It has well known problems...I had a 320gb and it crashed on me. Been using a 1tb samsung f3 for several months now. I like western digital, a 320gb wd is my main drive

I have successfully used either Seagate or Western Digital Drives. You say your laptop is getting old. Depending on the model, some of the older Dells tend to run on the hot side. Exokinetic's recommendation is great if you can afford it. If not, I would probably shoot for a 5400 RPM drive.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered the Western Digital 750 GB SATA Scorpio Blue Mobile Hard Drive along with Crucial PC2-6400 800MHz 2GB DDR2 SODIMM Dual Inline Laptop Memory Module.

i would go for the WD Black 750GB, but thats all personal choice for me.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast