VCI Mapping

Thread: VCI Mapping

Tech Wizard

Default VCI Mapping

Hey all,

I know i'm possibly going to get a lot of posts here saying "look around the site and try a few of the files" but it's not the answer i want. I have spent a rediculous amount of time remapping my VCI for Traktor 3 and i just can't seem to get it the way i want. I started off with the original vestax mapping and remapped it, then i went to Ean's mapping and remapped that. Then i used the basic idea from Ean's and remapped it from scratch. All of the layouts i created are really great and usable but the problem i have is that every time i remap it i find something new that i can really do something with which means i have to remap a heap of controls again.

Now i have followed the rules and kept it simple and kept all my controls together as an example: Midi Page 1, basic Deck A Deck B layout with all controls pretty close to as they read. EQ's are EQ's, Loops are loops and loop lengths work off the 3 white buttons and move functions with the small black buttons. Then for page to i use a hold function on a button which changes the eq's to effects control knobs, the faders are loop length and then the jog wheels turn fx on with the plater then increase and decrease the fx gain with movement. Page 3 i have left empty at this stage and page 4 i am playing with the controllerism set up.

The Problem i have is now that i have got all these functions working and understand how the effects all work and what not, this has now opened up a whole new ball game that i now want to add deck c to the game. I know i have page 3 still bare so i am thinking about a complete remap again.

What i'd like you guys to help me with is a basic idea of how you have your pages set up. Like am i better to used Page 1 as and A/B basic setup then use Page 2 as and A/B effects page and page 3 with 1 side of the vci for a basic C deck and the other side for an effects C deck, and then use page 4 as my controllerism layout?

I'm happy with positive and negative feedback on this 1 as it is all positive in my eyes because it is leading me to a better layout that i really need to get together in my own style. I just need some new idea's thrown my way so i can get to using this controller to its full potential finally as i already have the hang of the functions but i just need to know what are some easy way of controlling them.

Thanks ahead all and sorry for the ramble but i'm excruciatingly tired and couldn't sleep without pouring my heart out :-) lol

If you have done that many remaps then you have obviously picked up the basics of midi - if you are going to do another remap i would personaly pick up a the free edition of Bomes, Bomes Midi Translator Classic Edition.

That way your not dealing with your entire device being remapped every time you hit a button and instead you can use shift functions that only change part of what your setup is doing. Dont be fooled by the software being free, in the right hands the free edition can be still a very very powerful. Basicly will allow you to use Traktor pro modifier techniques inside of Traktor 3.

Also should you ever move up to Traktor Pro you will find that your able to reuse chunks of the code you write

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I agree with Bento on this one. You obviously have reached a sort of limit with Traktor 3 and the VCI-100, so maybe think about upgrading to Traktor Pro for modifiers and/or using Bomes.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Thanks guys,

I agree with you there. I'm just waiting on some money and decided to definitely go to TPro now i have my head around controllerism for the extra cue point control. Also i do really wish to look at trying bomes again. I did have a play with it quickly but i think just the terminology as compared to learn confused me :-D. I'll have another go at it over the next few days and if i get stuck with something i'll post back here with any questions i have and try to get my head around it this time.

... I wanna be like Bento! haha

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Honestly Coight, I'm only starting to dig into Bomes. The forum is really good, there's a lot of good advice from Bento, DJ Monikurr and B33son here, as well as the Bomes forum.

Don't wanna be like Bento. Just want to know what he knows.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall