Acapella's and Instrumentals - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

cheers B33SON that did the trick, tho I thought Gmail was also classed as a 'free webmail address'
    Current Top 3:
    1. Loco Dice - Seeing through Shadows
    2. Light Year - Sex Education
    3. Simian Mobile Disco - Cruel Intentions (DJ Pierre Remix)

Quote Originally Posted by jd62 View Post
    http://www.acapellas4u.co.uk/ here you are bentosan u can get some of them free if you register
    ;-)
    This is prolly the best acapella site, for shizzy

Giving a quick look though this thread this wasnt mentioned so ill do it now.

If you have the instrumental of a track then you can use the audio invert feature in Ableton or any other daw, then mix this signal with the original song with the vocals and you will be left with a capella.

This audio invert basicly works though the cancelation effect created by mixing a inverted version of a track with an original version of the track. Anything that is identicle in the track will be subtracted from the output leaving only differences in the track, in this case thats the vocals. As long as the two versions of the track are perfectly identicle (bit for bit) to one another with the only difference being the material that you want to isolate then this method works flawlessly.

Filtering methods should only be used when you cant get a capella from a 5.1 rip or you cannot use this method to isolate a capella.

Another interesting thing you can do if that if you have a capella is that you can invert the audio of the capella and mix it with the original track w/vocals to leave the instumental for that track that you can mix with.

All hail the holy invert effect !

+1 on the invert effect
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

An easy way to do centre channel extraction in Ableton is to use the utility plugin and set the stereo to 200% - voila instant Acapella.

Extraboy is a cheap $15 plugin that does the same thing but in a bit more advanced way.

Doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. I used it on "I want to break free" on the 72 project.

Another secret is to get hold of 5:1 DVD's and extract the vocal from the centre channel - there are some Elton John DVD's that Aggro1 got his from. Check out his DNB Mashups btw. Some of them kick some serious ass.

Of course there's remix competitions, torrents and if you're in the know - CD's from people in the media. I have quite a few hard to find instrumentals from bands like placebo and kaiser chiefs which i couldn't part with as they were given to me under an oath of extreme secrecy.

p.s. Rock band is also your friend, ahem.

Rapidshare has plenty too.
    http://rapidlibrary.com/

Edit: Just looked through acapellas4u.co.uk and that's probably a better bet, there are some gems on there.
    Last edited by balsawood; 05-26-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    If you have the instrumental of a track then you can use the audio invert feature in Ableton or any other daw, then mix this signal with the original song with the vocals and you will be left with a capella.
    Another trick is to note that Vocals and bass are often mixed front and center in a stereo mix, therefore they occur equally in both channels. If you invert the left channel and add it to the right, you get only the signal that is different in both halves, called the Difference track. This is useful for removing vocals over breakbeats, for instance.

Theoretically, if I remember correctly, adding Left and Right gives you the Sum channel, and subtracting the Difference from the Sum will give you something approximating the vocal with background removed. I never had much success with this and it's a bit hacky, but I'm told that sometimes it works.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 05-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.

5.1 discs FTW
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

This thread rules...I've used subtraction in digital image processing for years, but for some reason never thought of applying the same techniques to audio. *smacks forehead*
    reason, live7, traktor pro, m-audio x-session, m-audio O2, KRK RP5, Roland RD300sx

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast