Midi sync (traktor + reason)
    Tech Wizard

Default Midi sync (traktor + reason)

Hi guys,

i have a question about midi sync.

i'm trying to sync two computers running traktor and reason where traktor is the master and reason the slave.
    I'm having some issues though about reason staying synced for a long time,
    i've tried many different ways (Traktor S4 connected via midi to Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 8 DJ connected via midi to Kontrol 1, computers connected via ethernet with apple networking midi and with other midi over lan softwares) and i've tried tweaking the offset time on traktor but... nothing. No matter how i do it, i'll leave it for about 4 minutes and it'll start going slowly out of sync.
    Even though i need 2 different computers I've also tried to use both on one computer and sync with traktor internal clock, same problem.

The config at the moment is: 2 macbooks, traktor s4 and reason 5.

Any help please?

thanks!

I was trying to figure this out too...I haven't gotten any further than you have. In fact, I haven't even tried connecting via Ethernet. Good Luck on this, it seems pretty difficult from what I've tried.
    MacBook Pro 13" 8GB RAM | Traktor Kontrol S4 | 2x Technics 1200Mk5 TTs | Yamaha Motif ES8 | M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 Controller | M-Audio Audiophile AV 30/40 Speakers | Pioneer HDJ-2000 | MIDI Fighter |

http://soundcloud.com/fullkontrol

Tech Wizard

Well, i thought the problem was the midi connection and ethernet is supposely way faster, but now i can say it's not a connection problem.

I also thought it was reason that doesn't work very well with a midi clock input but I've heard it happens with ableton too, and for some mysterious reason it seems like the offset time has to be set differently everytime (it would go from like 7ms to 20) ...

I've been talking to native instruments support and they say they have no way to test this out and... they told me to go on djtechtools haha

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

IF you set Traktor's clock to Internal and keep it at a steady tempo does this still happen?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Yes, all the tests i've done were on a steady tempo. I would basically leave both clicks on and come back after a couple minutes and it would be already almost upbeat!

Tech Wizard

i'm running tests on TSP2 now, but it seems like the sync part is exactly the same as TPS4.

I never tried to do it between 2 computers, but syncing traktor and Ableton Live works fine on one.

What happens when you press the "sync" button again (in the master clock section)? Ableton borks out and re-launches the first scene, so there might be some weird behavior. But it does re-establish the sync if it drifted…which b/t Ableton and Traktor doesn't actually happen based on my tests.

Tech Wizard

Yes, if i hit Sync again, it goes back on sync, and back to position 1, (it happens in Ableton too and it's because the midi clock also sends position information by default).
    But i guess we can't call that a solution, since if you are performing live you already have a thousand buttons and knobs to tweak for your performance and you would easily forget to hit sync every once in a while to make sure you two are on sync.

How is your tweaking with the offset time and eventual device latency? did you find any offset time that stays pretty steady on sync for longer?
    And also, is the offset time always similar? because sometimes i'd just close the software and open it again... and the offset would be different in order to get the same result.

It's like a... Mysterious parameter.

Yeah…I had to change the offset each time I started the "slave" app. On my system, I don't recall it ever being positive, but it's ranged from -10ish ms to -40ish ms. It was stable if I got it right on, though. The first time I tested it, I gave up listening to the clicks together after like 30 or 40 minutes. That's more than acceptable for my purposes.

The Sync sending a "reset" signal or whatever it was is problematic, of course, but it would work for simple things, but so could Ableton Live or Sample Decks depending on how simple you're talking. What are you using Reason for? If you're incorporating a Live PA thing, then I see two possible solutions.

First, use what you have…and re-sync when necessary.

Two, just use Ableton. ReWire Reason into it if you have to, but Ableton is perfectly capable of playing full tracks just like Traktor is. If the setup is complicated enough that you can't get Reason and Traktor to talk…might as well use ReWire…'cuz it freaking works.

I'm not sure why so many people seem to have such problems with this stuff. I don't blame you guys…just because I didn't happen to get them testing my computer at my office–not in a performance–and without my computer doing much else isn't 100% valid. And I wasn't trying to accomplish anything, which means it was going to behave better anyway…because that's just how fate works.

But people have been syncing stuff with midi clocks for ages. Daft Punk, Orbital, Underworld…90% of the groups any of us have ever seen at a rave…even a good number of modern guys…they've all relied on this stuff working right with hardware. Why isn't software as simple?

Tech Wizard

I don't need to play any tracks so the position reset on the sequencer is not an issue for me, the reason why i use Reason (this sounds tricky) is cause i have all the instrument patches on it so the clock sync is being used just to sync any LFO, Matrix, arpegiators etc.

i'm gonna try tomorrow to rewire reason into ableton, but i had sync problems with ableton aswell.

I'm surprised that there's no "stay in sync" feature on any of these softwares and you have to re-sync manually.

Basically, it looks like at the moment, if you're using this kind of setup, anytime you do your live performance you'd have to 1. spend your time finding the offset time using both clicks, 2. re-sync when needed.

Really, i don't know why it's so complicated, specially cause i mean... it's just a clock!