experianced dj advice needed (how to be sneaky)
    Tech Mentor

Default experianced dj advice needed (how to be sneaky)

I know you guys will all prob think this is stupid but Ive gotten a really good offer to DJ a club in a couple weeks. The only problem is is that the club is 18+ and well im not 18. So do dj's get carded or hows that all work. Now I know I should wait till im 18 but this is kinda make or break here.

feel free to shut me down i know this screws over the club. but i feel that asking is worth a shot

Talk to the manager. They SHOULD be cool with it mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Yup, you'll have to check with the club or whoever booked you and be honest. Some places have a back door you could just walk in, others are strict about ID's.

most places wont ID you tbh, you'll technically be staff. Depending on when ur playing they might want you there before the club opens for a sound check and such (depending on your setup).

Definitely be up front with the club. In theory you could get them in a lot of trouble if they don't know what's up. That said, it's not unheard of to have clubs employ people who are underage as long as they aren't serving drinks and, it goes without saying, as long as they aren't drinking them either!

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

What they've all said. You could really screw them if you don't tell them and the night of you find out and they can't let you in. Then they don't have a DJ and you've burned a massive bridge.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    Definitely be up front with the club. In theory you could get them in a lot of trouble if they don't know what's up. That said, it's not unheard of to have clubs employ people who are underage as long as they aren't serving drinks and, it goes without saying, as long as they aren't drinking them either!
    this..

but being a performer and not actual staff, you may need to have a legal guardian there while you are playing. thats what happens in Australia... you are allowed, but only if mum or dad are there basically.

Banned

The Martinez Brothers had to deal with this when they started playing out. Can't remember the laws in NYC to be honest, but I know there father had to be there and they could only play after 3am for some reason.

Say I got a gig in a 21+ club and I'm only 19, would I not legally be allowed in there even though I would be considered staff?
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

Quote Originally Posted by bobbylight View Post
    Say I got a gig in a 21+ club and I'm only 19, would I not legally be allowed in there even though I would be considered staff?
    Like everyone else has said, the answer to your question is a giant:

"That depends..."

Some venue owners plum wont care. Some are going to be "letter of the law" types. Either way, you have to ask the owner of the venue, or at least the promoter of the event (and if he doesn't know, he's either going to lie to you and say no if he doesn't know, or he is going to ask the venue owner).
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.