Got a new gig, need your help!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Got a new gig, need your help!

Hey guys

Alright, so i didn't have a regular gig these days so i took up a "residency" on sunday nights at this super popular bar/lounge in downtown montreal. Every sunday night i'll be doing 10-3.

Now, my problem is that i've only ever played to dance floors, and now i'll be playing to a full house, but to people sitting at tables or at the bar... for 5 hours straight. I've done 5 hour sets, so it's not really a problem, but i'd like you guys to suggest some great songs for a bar/lounge setting. I know i won't be building my set the same way as i would for a place with a dancefloor, so i need alot of songs that can play "in the background" but that remains quality shit!

I understand that i'll have alot of liberty in the track selection department. i'll probably play mostly hip-hop, electro, some dance stuff like chromeo, and the occasional Radiohead or some other ambient rock. I'm gonna try to keep the night as genre-breaking as possible.

So yeah, i need y'all to please suggest your favorites!

thanks!
    -chris-
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

Tech Mentor

I recently bought a couple of Miami albums on iTunes, they're pretty loungey without being boring, might be something useful?
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

I would think something like chilled out minimal/techno would work really well, maybe some trip hop or deep house. Try to stay away from super clubby stuff. If you see the place getting really busy you could always throw in a couple dancier house tracks, but seriously, don't go overboard.

Tech Mentor

Pick up some Chill Out and Deep House.

Does the play have a dance floor or is it a pure lounge?
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg5OH View Post
    Kinda sounds like a big hiss then boom boom wacka wacka boom

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Trip hop and chilled out dubstep all the way. I find deep house boring, but god knows my tastes are not the standard.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

nujabes
    bonobo
    flying lotus
    caribou
    daedelus
    edison
    galapagoose
    nosaj thing
    rjd2

unbelievably good music and mostly all on the chill. get involved

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    chilled out dubstep all the way
    this too ftw

Quote Originally Posted by Johnv View Post
    Pick up some Chill Out and Deep House.

Does the play have a dance floor or is it a pure lounge?
    The place has three different sections, a "pub" on the main floor, a "club" in the basement, and a huge "terrasse" outside in the back. Sunday night the basement is closed so i'll be doing the pub most of the time and the terrasse on the really nice nights where it will be packed, so yeah, not much room for dancing where i'll be spinning, but i've seen people dancing on tables there so it's not hopeless

thanks for all the suggestions, guy! Keep em coming!
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

Id play some disco kinda stuff Duck Sauce, breakbot, some of kaskades stuff i find them very chilled out and funky.
    Last edited by michaeldunne109; 03-29-2011 at 08:25 PM.
    I play everything Indie/ Rock/ HipHop/ Cheese/ Electro/ Dubstep and anything that sounds good

Tsp 1.7/ Tsp 2/ Sony vaio Win 7 4gb Ram / Macbook Pro 13 inch (Main machine) /vci 100 se/ mixdeck/ audio 8/ technics rph headphones/ Custom xBox Controller/ Akai Lpd8

My first piece of advice is don't take gigs you're unprepared as a DJ to play for. I could be making a LOT of money booking weddings from people who hear me play because they love the style. I'm not taking them because I'm not experienced with the flow and/or MC aspects of weddings from the DJ standpoint. You're potentially setting yourself up to take money out of an experienced DJ's wallet, ruin the night of patrons, and embarrassing yourself.
    Second, is to go for things (if this is truly loungey, with just a background music type of feel) like Caribou, Gramatik, thievery corporation, anything on Ninja Tunes, and jazzanova to get yourself started.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast