Add to my setup or revamp it?
    Tech Mentor

Default Add to my setup or revamp it?

I currently own the VCI-100 SE with the arcade mod and it has done me wonders for the past year. I never felt a need to expand past it until recently when I wanted to reach for more knobs that weren't there, or accidentally botched a mix while switching between deck modes, etc.

So I know I need something new, but my question is do I keep the VCI and expand with a MF or X1 or something similar...or do I start from scratch and pick up the S4?

Part of me doesn't want to part with my baby (I would need to in order to afford the S4) but I also feel as though the VCI and the support offered for it on this site is starting to wane. The S4 is clearly the future, and there has to be something said for an NI hardware/software combo.

What do you all think?

there are still many who are hanging onto their vcis'. if u need jogs for deck C and D, get a typhoon or total control.As for knobs you can add couple lpd8s or a mpd24. NI things are pricey man!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, what do you want those knobs for? What do you feel like is missing? The S4 is a big purchase that you might not need.

I prefer the VCI still, mainly because I can easily make it do whatever I want thanks to Bomes
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

An x1 for sampledecks would be nifty O.o
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    An x1 for sampledecks would be nifty O.o
    I never really thought about this! I've never got to use an X1, but I am pretty familiar with the layout. Although I'm not too good when it comes to mapping.

To owners of the X1...do you think it would make a handy controller for FX and sample decks? or would that be overload for the amount of control it provides?

My main reason for wanting a second set of knobs is the FX section. I would like to be able to control FX for BOTH decks simultaneously while still having the use of my line faders (hence where faderfx mode falls short).

One of these days i'll buy the traktor bible and learn myself some hardcore midi mapping and design my own controller, but until i'm not a broke college student you all still have to answer my questions

Are only NI things available in the world, are the other companies doing some shit?
    @rami- u say u are broke, don't u get that an 2lpds will be better than 1 X1 , why waste ur money broke ! Don't mind i'm one too. And until u get the hang of tp1 , tp2 would only be a show off. Use katapult.

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    I never really thought about this! I've never got to use an X1, but I am pretty familiar with the layout. Although I'm not too good when it comes to mapping.

To owners of the X1...do you think it would make a handy controller for FX and sample decks? or would that be overload for the amount of control it provides?

My main reason for wanting a second set of knobs is the FX section. I would like to be able to control FX for BOTH decks simultaneously while still having the use of my line faders (hence where faderfx mode falls short).

One of these days i'll buy the traktor bible and learn myself some hardcore midi mapping and design my own controller, but until i'm not a broke college student you all still have to answer my questions

It is my opinion that it is IMPOSSIBLE to overload the X1.

I have it mapped to do ALL of its regular functions.

As well as ALL internal Mixing functions for 2 decks.

As well as having a MIDI Fighter emulated on the bottom rows of button when in MIDI mode.

And there is still room to add more modifiers, for more shift layers, and ever more controls...

Loop recorder on the way, I have to figure out how to map that next.
    I'm addicted to WoW.

Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.