Time Code vs. Native

Default Time Code vs. Native

Hey guys I did a little searching but couldnt find the answer I was looking for. I was hoping that DJTT users might be able help me. I have CDJ-400s and they plug in Native via USB to my laptop to conrol Traktor Pro 2. I was just wondering if there were any advantages/disadvantages of using Time code or if Native is the best way. The only reason I'm concerned is because I would like to cut a few usb connections out of my mix as I already have 6 now with Audio 10, X1, and Launchpad.
    MBP | TRAKTOR 2.6 | 4TRAK | ORBIT | LAUNCHPAD | KONTROL X1 | KONTROL F1 |KONTROL Z1| XONE XD53

Quote Originally Posted by jhyphinwill View Post
    Hey guys I did a little searching but couldnt find the answer I was looking for. I was hoping that DJTT users might be able help me. I have CDJ-400s and they plug in Native via USB to my laptop to conrol Traktor Pro 2. I was just wondering if there were any advantages/disadvantages of using Time code or if Native is the best way. The only reason I'm concerned is because I would like to cut a few usb connections out of my mix as I already have 6 now with Audio 10, X1, and Launchpad.
    I think you loose stuff like track ID readout if you use timecodes.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Quote Originally Posted by OmniRoss View Post
    I think you loose stuff like track ID readout if you use timecodes.
    True that aswell! Hmm my main concern is that next week I will be upgrading to a MacBook Pro and they only have 2 usb. I currently have 3 on my Toshiba which works out perfectly. I have my External HDD and Audio interface plugged directly into the board and then my controllers on a 4 port hub. I know that my external HDD wont power off the hub because its not powered. I guess I will have to test out the 4-port with the Audio 10 and hopefully since it has its own power supply there wont be any issues
    MBP | TRAKTOR 2.6 | 4TRAK | ORBIT | LAUNCHPAD | KONTROL X1 | KONTROL F1 |KONTROL Z1| XONE XD53

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by jhyphinwill View Post
    True that aswell! Hmm my main concern is that next week I will be upgrading to a MacBook Pro and they only have 2 usb. I currently have 3 on my Toshiba which works out perfectly. I have my External HDD and Audio interface plugged directly into the board and then my controllers on a 4 port hub. I know that my external HDD wont power off the hub because its not powered. I guess I will have to test out the 4-port with the Audio 10 and hopefully since it has its own power supply there wont be any issues
    The audio 10 should be fine with it's own power supply. Is your external firewire capable? If it is just hook it up that way and problem solved!

Glad to see more boston-ites around

I am in the same boat as you equipment-wise. I don't mind the Native control and can't justify spending even more money for a new soundcard and Scratch2. I use the play/pause button to play, not hand on the platter method...I'm a button guy, so see no point.

You say in your post you have Pro2. You'd have to upgrade again to Scratch to use Timecode. Not worth it IMO just to save a few USB ports. Just buy a USB hub.
    CDJ400s, Ecler Nuo, XD 53
    KRK RP8sFG

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post

glad to see more boston-ites around
    woot!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by rami View Post
    The audio 10 should be fine with it's own power supply. Is your external firewire capable? If it is just hook it up that way and problem solved!

Glad to see more boston-ites around
    DAMN! I just bought this hard drive the other day in prep of the MacBook I should have just got a firewire HDD to begin with and solve all my probs!

I am in the same boat as you equipment-wise. I don't mind the Native control and can't justify spending even more money for a new soundcard and Scratch2. I use the play/pause button to play, not hand on the platter method...I'm a button guy, so see no point.

You say in your post you have Pro2. You'd have to upgrade again to Scratch to use Timecode. Not worth it IMO just to save a few USB ports. Just buy a USB hub.
    No i have the full Traktor Scratch Pro 2. I bought it mainly for the Audio 10 to upgrade my Audio 2. I have a non powered usb hub now but if it gives me troubles I will prob send a little extra cash and get a powered.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x