My new vci-100

Thread: My new vci-100

Default My new vci-100

Hi All,

Should be getting my new vci at the end of the month if vestax pull there finger out !!

I have a Pioneer DJM600 mixer, is it worth keeping this once i get the VCI or shoudl i just use the mixer functions on teh vci.

At the mo i have a MAudio Audiophile USB soundcard but i dont think i can use that with an external mixer ? what would be a betetr option if i did use the DJM ?

Cheers
    Gav

I think that is a personal choice you will have to make. When I started out with the vci, I had a external mixer I used next to it. After using the vci for several months I figured out that I accualy didn't really use my external mixer anymore. No I am always mixing just with the vci.
    I know that Ean prefers to use an external mixer next to his controller.
    It really is a personal choice...
    Let the beat control your body...

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

My problem with using an external mixer was I never figured out what to use the Crossfader for (though, in saying that, I think I just got an idea... damnit!) on the VCI-100 so it's not a wasted control, but it still makes sense to me.

But go through the TSI, put it together. If you find that you'd rather have your EQ on your VCI control the effects, and use the EQ on the DJM then that might work for you. If you feel that you'd rather have the Cue Buttons control the filters and handle the Cue externally then keep the DJM.

But if you think you'd have a problem with all the doubled controls (gain, eq, crossfader, volume fader to start with) and you don't want to carry another piece of gear, you might be best off with just the VCI. :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

One thing i dont get yet as ive not used the vci yet is , when using the vci volume knobs for both track volume then also for effects (using modifiers or midi pages) ... what heppens if when you use it for effects it ends up being left at the bottom then when you flick back to use it for track volume how would you turn the track volume down with teh slider at teh bottom already ?

Hope that makes sense?

G

You use the Soft-Takeover function in the Effect Amount and Volume Fader options. There's a little check box when making your .TSI. What this does is prevents Traktor from accepting the MIDI message until it matches the level already set.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Would it not be beneficial to keep the mixer to practice for a club? Knowing that you would probably have to be keeping the set up already in place as it is, but just plugging your set up in when you get there.
    ~MacBook 2.4 GHz | Pacemaker 666 | Traktor Pro | Ableton Live 7~
    ~Indie Dance | Nu Disco | Electro House | Old Skool Funk~

But if he uses the VCI-100 alone he wouldn't even really need to keep up with the mixer cause he can just put his VCI on top of it. The set up would always be the same (plug a pair of RCA cables into the back of the mixer and go)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

just to let you all know i am not planning on playing in any clubs .. purely a hobby for myself .. i'm 30 years old and have done the playin in a club once or twice and am past that time now and nowhere near good enough ... maybe the vci will give me a new lease of life but for now its a hobby )

I just cant get rid of my stuff though - i have 2 technics two cdjs (1x800 and 1x1000) and a djm600 ... i just dont want to get rid and then want them back as i wouldnt be able to afford that kind of kit again now.

I saw the vci-100 and all the vids and just thought it looked proper cool so thought why not lets give this baby a go. Ive been messin around with ableton for a bit too but then found traktor .. it could all save me so much space, gettin rid of all my vinyl etc ..

Cant wait for it to turn up as ive wanted a midi controller for so long now ... lucky the missus got wind of my wants and bought me one for xmas )

well, that's good to hear. If you're planning on getting rid of the turntables then I'd get rid of the mixer as well, and just use the VCI-100
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall