New DJ in Need!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If you're going to get a better Traktor program then pick up Traktor Pro 2, or a used version of Traktor Pro.

If you're only going to want to use two decks and won't need a ton of effects then the Duo suites could do well for you as well.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

tpro2 just dropped. pick that up, its like 140 for an upgrade from LE. you could also run the audio from traktor LE to a DAW like Ableton, Audacity, Logic, Reason, even garageband and record that way.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Convert

Thanks a lot for your help guys !

If you're likely to want to use CD decks or turntables as part of your setup you'll need Traktor Scratch Pro (either 1 or 2) or Duo. Otherwise it's Traktor Pro (1 or 2), but then you can only use a controller.

Up to you really ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Quote Originally Posted by efung28 View Post
    Thanks guys i appreciate the help

I've read that Traktor LE is pretty limited and is unable to record, which is what's most important to me so I'm most likely going to change to a better Traktor program. Any recommendations?
    Ummm... Traktor Pro 2

Don't even do a search, just click the back button and look through any of the threads on the first page of general discussion...

You may notice that Traktor Pro 2 was released today

Also, FAQs :eek:

CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Ohms View Post
    If you're likely to want to use CD decks or turntables as part of your setup you'll need Traktor Scratch Pro (either 1 or 2) or Duo. Otherwise it's Traktor Pro (1 or 2), but then you can only use a controller.

Up to you really ...
    and this ^^ but cause you got the typhoon spin thingy i presumed you were sticking with that as your controller
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

traktor pro 2

Seems to me, our noob friend is trying to better his gear and therefore trying to up their game. As a recent tech convert I can respect that (provided that they know how to actually DJ, beat match, and read crowds rather than using this as a shortcut to previously being what I refer to as, "an iPod push play monkey").

When it comes to software, there are only 2 clear choices that you should debate about getting: Serato Scratch Live and Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Each have their Pros and Cons.

What is best for your DJ setup? Nobody can tell you that. I've always said that every DJ's setup is like your own underwear: It's yours. It's personal. You don't loan it out to others. What you do in it is your own business. Some like theirs to be funkier than others. Some prefer something cleaner, newer, and fresh. Most of all, it must be the right fit for you or else you will end up being very uncomfortable.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I assume since you have possibly familiarized yourself with Traktor that you want to continue using Traktor. I also assume that you want to expand what you are capable of doing overall and recording may be just one of the internal features you want to make use of. If all of the above is true, I suggest Traktor Scratch Pro 2. Making this leap from LE may seem to be overkill at the moment. However, TSP2 will allow you to record and to add/subtract options - like a sampler, multiple effects, multiple decks, adding other MIDI controls, allowing multiple ways to reprogram/re-purpose controls, using CD or vinyl control, allowing you to make true use of the tutorials here on DJTT, etc. - to your setup. More options + more functions (whether you make use of them or not) = more complete flexibility when it comes to expressing yourself musically.

If I am wrong in assuming the above, consider Serato Scratch Live. It's just as powerful and stable as TSP2. However, it currently does not have the same caliber of ever-expanding usage for MIDI controls that Traktor does. Yes, Serato supports MIDI, and MIDI controllers can be programmed for certain functions, but Serato is not as specifically programmable and re-programmable as TSP2. If you are like me who is someone who loves to get under the hood and start hacking and tweaking every detail of your system to your liking, Serato is not for you. The true obvious advantages Serato has over TSP2 is it links easier to Ableton Live using The Bridge and VJs can mix video without a secondary video program if you get the video plug-in. Plus,

The rest of the feature differences and similarities between SSL and TSP2 are highly debatable and often are. (Example: SSL can rearrange the user interface multiple ways that TSP does not. Serato has effects, but there are not as many as what TSP2 has. Both now have a sampler built in. Which is better? The list goes on and on.)

As far as adding or subtracting hardware to your setup? This is never as clear of a choice as the software involved. I suggest doing a bit more research. Listen in on a few forums. Get reviews. Grab a copy of the Traktor Bible. Read about each item and decide how it fits into your "underwear", if it fits at all.

If you need any more clarity to anything I said, just ask. Welcome to the forum. Say hello to everybody and play nice with others. We'll play nice with you.
    --DJ B-Naut || Atlanta, GA
    Electro House || Mashups || VJ

Toshiba L505 i3 8GB RAM Win 7 64bit / 2 Technics 1200 / Vestax PMC280 / Dicer / Akai APC40 / Numark NuVJ / Arkaos GrandVJ

Tech Convert

Appreciate the advice B-Naut

I admit I'm not very experienced, I've just done a few house parties with my friend's Hercules RMX with Virtual DJ but I have some experience with things you mentioned like reading crowds.

I favor Traktor more but because I have a controller and not multiple CD Decks, I don't think the Traktor Scratch Pro would be a good pick for me, though I could be mistaken.

I'm looking to try the new Traktor Pro 2 and it will most likely overwhelm me but I'm willing to learn the hard way. Would I have to get new maps and .tsi files to convert the Pro 2 to my controller?

And thanks for welcoming me to the DJ Tech family

if you wanna be overwhelmed, ditch the typhoon pick up a launchpad or APC 40 and play with ableton live.

Ive had live since the summer and still have ZERO clue what im doing in that program :P being overwhelmed is fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast