Sound Effects - Traktor Pro + VCI 100
    Tech Convert

Default Sound Effects - Traktor Pro + VCI 100

I DJ Dancehall Reggae and this genre requires the use of sound effects. Outside of using an external sampler like the Roland SP-404 (link) and mixer, is there any way to leverage the functionality of Traktor, particularly the effects and beat matching, and the VCI 100 to trigger sound effects and apply effects (like delay and reverb)? Ultimately providing a single interface for DJing w/ killer sound effects.

I envision using a third or forth deck with a single track of multiple effects and corresponding cue points. I do not have enough experience with Traktor and the VCI 100 to make it work. I was hoping someone within this community may have some similar needs or the 'know-how' to point me in the right direction.

.:InfInItI:.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

To work with effects you can do that in Traktor. A good place to start is using the four knobs in the top corner and mapping them to different effects. Remember that these have three different presets decided based on where that little red LED sits.

To control a third deck you'd need to create a Modifier set up to switch either Deck A or Deck B to Deck C or Deck D depending on your preference. I'm working on an article to explain how to do this but I keep getting wrapped up in my own set up.

The effects you can do right now. Also, I believe there are .TSI's for the VCI-100 to control four decks in our Controller Map forum.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

DvlsAdvct .. thanks for the info.

It think your saying I would have to switch either deck to control my sound effects. I would rather have the sound effects available at all times without having to toggle a deck as I would usually use a sound effect before during or immediately after a cross fade/cut.

I am glad to hear it possible and I will tinker with it. I will try using the four button at the top left of the VCI-100, which control media navigation and preview. Thanks for your help.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, another option, though one I haven't seen tried yet, is to use those four knobs and buttons at the top to control another deck. Simple controls, y'know? You use Modifiers to change where you load your tracks and use the 12 buttons and knobs to control Deck C. Also, using modifiers you do have instant control of Deck C if you use it as a shift function. You could even set it so that Deck C can toggle over Decks A and B, depending on where you're fading.

Oh, and I just realized this. I mean the four buttons on the right side, in the effect section. You may need to play with modifiers, or even Bomes, if you want to do the 3 or four deck solution you're looking for.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Well, another option, though one I haven't seen tried yet, is to use those four knobs and buttons at the top to control another deck.
    pretty sure i'm always banging on about having a 2deck/2sampler layout and using those buttons/knobs for c & d....?

check the link in my sig, there's a pic of the layout in there

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by InfInItI View Post
    I DJ Dancehall Reggae and this genre requires the use of sound effects. Outside of using an external sampler like the Roland SP-404 (link) and mixer, is there any way to leverage the functionality of Traktor, particularly the effects and beat matching, and the VCI 100 to trigger sound effects and apply effects (like delay and reverb)? Ultimately providing a single interface for DJing w/ killer sound effects.

I envision using a third or forth deck with a single track of multiple effects and corresponding cue points. I do not have enough experience with Traktor and the VCI 100 to make it work. I was hoping someone within this community may have some similar needs or the 'know-how' to point me in the right direction.

I know exactly what u r looking for cause i do the same thing,
    my solution was to route traktor through ableton.

Means i have all my lickshots, sirens, bullets, shouts aso in ableton like in a sampler plus one live input where traktor is routed via jackosx.

Advantage is i can use the perfekt layouts for the VCI u can get here, with all the effekts like delay, slicer for the tracks and in ableton u can have fixed delays on each sample or group them.
    I fire those samples with a Korg nanopad. setup is kind of complicated but handling is very quick afterwards no extra buttons aso.
    As u know therīs usually not more than a minute to load, cue next track add fx to the first, mix and lickshots if u r riddim juggeling, we r not as lucky as the EDM guys to have a lot of time to turn knobs.

I think the Deck C/D idea with fixed cue points might work also but u have to have delay fixed on these and canīt use it for tracks and i personaly donīt want to wheel a track anymore without fx.

U could use the sp 404 as a midi pad it has a midi out and should send notes for a start.

Sounds like a more complex way of doing things (using ableton) I've been pondering a way of using a nanopad/lpd8 to fire off samples (reggae-esque, vocal clips, film sample etc.) Almost like making a custom sample track, parking it in a deck and using something with more than the 4 buttons for beat juggling that you've got to fire off bits and pieces
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Tech Student

Hey InfInItI ,

I have a similar question or to any one who might know the answer Im just finishing get my set up together I have the vci 100 and the mixer and trying to figure out if I need to get the roland sp404 because i dj reggae and I was trying to find out is there a soundcard or is it best to get the roland sp404

Thanks

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardy_111 View Post
    The most recent version, Traktor Pro, offers seamless looping, effects, automatic beat-gridding of tracks, ... Traktor Pro features 21 effects (as opposed to only 5 effects on .............

Check his posts people.

[QUOTE=cuttymello;97511]I know exactly what u r looking for cause i do the same thing,
    my solution was to route traktor through ableton.

Means i have all my lickshots, sirens, bullets, shouts aso in ableton like in a sampler plus one live input where traktor is routed via jackosx.

Advantage is i can use the perfekt layouts for the VCI u can get here, with all the effekts like delay, slicer for the tracks and in ableton u can have fixed delays on each sample or group them.
    I fire those samples with a Korg nanopad. setup is kind of complicated but handling is very quick afterwards no extra buttons aso.
    As u know therīs usually not more than a minute to load, cue next track add fx to the first, mix and lickshots if u r riddim juggeling, we r not as lucky as the EDM guys to have a lot of time to turn knobs.

I think the Deck C/D idea with fixed cue points might work also but u have to have delay fixed on these and canīt u

could you talk me through setting up my traktor s8 as you describe above. will ableton live 8 d0? also how to set up korg nanopad to traktor please. really appreciate your help. thanks