New Vestax VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 owner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default New Vestax VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 owner

Greetings all.

After reading the posts and topics on this forum and watching x-amount of videos on Youtube over the past few months I decided to take the plunge and join the digital DJ revolution. I previously used vinyl and turntables to DJ but in my opinion digital is definitely the future.

So today, I finally received my Vestax VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 interface which I intend to use later this week. However, I was wondering if any one has any essential tips for beginners on setting everything up such as what pitfalls to avoid, how to set up the Traktor LE software, what are the best settings for the VCI-100, etc. Any help that can be provided would be most grateful.

So far I'm happy with the build quality of the VCI-100. I did think about purchasing the Hercules RMX and the Torq Xponent, but on looks alone I think the VCI-100 wins hands down (I've not used the VCI-100 yet so I can't comment on performance in relation to the other controllers). I also looked at purchasing the VCI-300 but the cost factor put me off. I believe the VCI-100 I own is a 1.2 firmware edition because it has a green sticker on the rear.

Anyway, any tips, information or just general banter would be most welcome.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Finding the set up that works for you can be complicated. What I'd say to do is load the default .TSI for the VCI-100 and play around. Then take notes on what features you do and don't use, and what you'd like to be able to do. This will help you figure out what to map where on it, and then you can search around for different techniques.

I'd say learn how the VCI-100 interfaces with Traktor (the .TSI) and how it interacts through MIDI, and then you can grow from there. There are lots of options and different .TSI's to choose from on this forum alone.

Good luck to ya, and welcome to DJTT
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Well, it's been nearly two weeks since I've had my VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 interface and I've made a few observations. I like using Traktor LE but for some reason coming from a vinyl background, the way to cue up records/tracks while mixing seems a bit off. When playing deep/soulful house music I'm used to scratching the beat to the music then dropping the track on beat to mix it in, but for some reason this doesn't work as well on the VCI-100. It's easier (some may call it cheating) to just set up a cue point on the beat and just drop it in that way.

Another thing, I play hip-hop/R&B as well as house and the VCI-100 is not suited at all to quick cuts/scratching and drop ins which you can do with vinyl (albeit Armsteada managed to do it on a VCI-100 impressively). Am I a deck dinosaur? As I'm finding digital deejaying very strange to get used to (I'll get used to it eventually but decks and vinyl have a weird kind of reverance for me).

One more thing. Should I sell up my VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 and get the VCI-300 or should I wait until firmware 1.4 drops for the VCI-100? (hopefully with 14-bit resolution for the jog wheels so I can do some of what I've mentioned above). I like the VCI-100 but miss being able to physically manipulate the sound which seems more possible on the VCI-300. Advice please!

Well, using Traktor and a VCI-100 is not the same as using vinyl. It uses a different technique in general. Why cue up a record by seeking with the needle and lining it up when you can set a hotkey that jumps you right to the beat? You can still scratch in your intro if you want, but you have other options. Is it cheating? That depends on your opinions and all.

It's possible, it just requires you to "relearn" the scratching techniques so you can do it on the VCI-100. I think with work you'll be able to do just fine, if you want to make that work.

Are you a dinosaur? No. You're just trying to wrap your brain around a new way to DJ that is completely different from what you're used to. That's hard for anyone. But with time you'll be able to restructure the DJing techniques you have, and still have your skills behind your previous techniques (ie: vinyl).

This is, once again, a personal preference thing. I like having an external sound card, and I like the layout of the VCI-100. I'd wait for firmware 1.4. If you don't want to wait, and would prefer the 300, then go for it. I don't think it's more possible to do anything on the VCI-300 than the 100, I just think it needs to be handled differently. Scratching might be better, but a 1.4 update will fix that.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'll hold off until 1.4 firmware is available. Does anyone know exactly when this will be?

It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    One more thing. Should I sell up my VCI-100 and Audio Kontrol 1 and get the VCI-300 or should I wait until firmware 1.4 drops for the VCI-100? (hopefully with 14-bit resolution for the jog wheels so I can do some of what I've mentioned above). I like the VCI-100 but miss being able to physically manipulate the sound which seems more possible on the VCI-300. Advice please!
    My .02: I just returned the vci-300 & bought the 100 & audio kontrol 1. I was very disappointed w/ the 300's sound card and am much happier w/ audio kontrol's sound.

Default How can I set up Audio Kontrol 1 and VCI-100 with Traktor Pro

I'm having problems setting up Audio Kontrol 1 with my VCI-100 in Traktor Pro. Any setting advice would be appreciated. I can run both items with the program, but I cannot use the Audio Kontrol 1 to preview through my headphones and toggle between that track and the track being played through the speakers. I hope that makes sense. I just moved over to the digital side of spinning, so it's a whole new learning curve to me. Any insight would be appreciated. I've been looking through all the videos and forums, but am not quite finding the answer I'm looking for. I know this is probably an audio setting issue since my drivers, firmware, and MIDI mapping is working just fine. Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by crispyb; 01-29-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyb View Post
    I'm having problems setting up Audio Kontrol 1 with my VCI-100 in Traktor Pro. Any setting advice would be appreciated. I can run both items with the program, but I cannot use the Audio Kontrol 1 to preview through my headphones and toggle between that track and the track being played through the speakers. I hope that makes sense. I just moved over to the digital side of spinning, so it's a whole new learning curve to me. Any insight would be appreciated. I've been looking through all the videos and forums, but am not quite finding the answer I'm looking for. I know this is probably an audio setting issue since my drivers, firmware, and MIDI mapping is working just fine. Thanks for any help!
    Hi there welcome to the forums - your issue sounds like you need to play with your output routings inside the traktor audio settings. Turn one of the cue's on and make sure the cue volume is up, then try different the different outputs that area availible for the "output monitor" section until you get sound comming out of your headphones.

Thanks for the quick response, Doc. I'm not having problems with getting sound in the headphones or on my external speakers. My problem is being able to cue up and listen to what is in deck B without having it play through my external speakers and/or listen through my headphones what is playing on deck A at the same time. Thus, I cannot preview a track independent of what I am currently playing, nor can I play the current track without having the preview of the next track being piped in my external speakers. I have played around with the outputs through Traktor but to no avail.

My current set up is the VCI-100 plugged into my laptop (PC) and the Audio Kontrol 1 through USB ports. My laptop has my speakers plugged into a headphone output jack. I then have the Audio Kontrol 1 output (3) plugged into the volume control of my speaker system. The Audio Kontrol 1 seems to be managing everything being played on the external speakers, but I am having a problem with previewing through the headphone output on the Audio 1. That is why I think it is how I have Traktor configured. If you or anyone else is running both of these items any insight would be greatly appreciated.

As of right now, I have downgraded myself to a basement DJ. That's why I got rid of my Prodigy and Pioneer Decks. I'm hoping to save space in my home with this way of spinning but not lose out on enjoying it. When I had my decks I did run them through my speaker setup with no problem. I was even using Lexicon to record mixes. I don't know if that will help with anything. Again, thanks for the response and any other advice would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast