SSD/HDD Upgrade
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SSD/HDD Upgrade

Default SSD/HDD Upgrade

Hey guys!

So i finally sprung on doing an upgrade to my (sometimes slow as shit) 2009 13" Macbook.

So this is what i picked up
    1) 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD
    2) 1tb 5400 rpm Samsung HDD
    3) 4 gb ram ( )

Now, I am well versed with computer repairs from my old PCs and my Dell Laptop, but have never even attempted to open up my Macbook since i got it over 2 yrs ago. so i wanna make sure i know what im doing before i go in there and start messing with shit. (and im getting excited cause the Hardware came today and im just waiting on the optibay cause i had to order it from another vendor)

Now, the plan is to replace both drives with the new ones, ive heard many things about not having your start up drive (which would be my SSD) in the optibay slot, so in regards to how i should set it up, should i put the SSD in first -in optibay - close it up and clone my orginal 250gb hd's OS to the SSD... then open it back up, replace the SSD with the original and pop the 1tb into the optibay slot? (btw, all i know about doing this i got from the video that was posted with the article on the main page)

another lil snag too.. i dont have an external Harddrive... what would be the best way to copy everything over? do the 1tb drive first, clone it? then pull it and put the SSD in?

im just kinda confused. any insight you guys could give me would be awesome.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Buy an external USB 2.5 HDD case would be the easiest, you can use it for your existing hard drive afterwards, they only cost like $5 - $10

so your sayin pull my 250, pop it in the external case, pop the ssd into the "regular" HD spot and the 1tb in teh optibay, teh plug the 250 in as an external and time machine that shit?

how do i just get the OS onto the SSD and not onto the HD as well if i was to clone the old drive? (as my 250 is pretty full and dont want all the garbage clogging up the 60gb ssd) as cloning to the 1tb main drive shouldnt be a huge issue

Default Performance?

If you care about performance, I would suggest returning the samsung and getting a WD Scorpio Black 750g... The 320g scorpio blacks have long been held to be one of the fastest and most reliable laptop drives out there, and the new 750g drives are just as good.

I'm currently doing the same thing on my g/fs mbp... just waiting for the optibay to arrive.

Cheers and good luck!

m.
    mixes at: http://soundcloud.com/psylozen

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning how to dance in the rain."

yeah i compared the two of em, i liked the idea of a tb in my macbook cause i have alot of tunes yet to put on my computer.

psy, how are you going about doing it? are you replacing both drives? youve done this before? wanna do a step by step thing? im so scared of breaking my baby ( i fucked up alot of computers in the past while upgrading them and what not -- cant really afford to have that happen with my macbook as i dont have the time to fiddle with it for hours on end)

I've heard the scorpio blacks absolutely rape your battery life. I've got a 750GB scorpio blue on the way along with a 240GB Vertex 2. Looked at the Vertex 3 but those things cost a BOMB.

In terms of method I'm gna flash drive the snow leopard disk, put the SSD in the optibay, clone the whole thing over (after doing a full time machine onto my 1TB WD external HDD for safety). Then like you said OP, put the SSD in the boot slot and the Scorpio blue in the Optibay, then move all my music and shit over, along with all the movies I have on an external.

This is gonna be a godsend for my laptop, I've been running with about 5GB free for as long as I can remember. My last laptop was a VAIO and had an 80GB HDD, when I bought my MBP I thought 250GB would be plenty. How wrong I was!

EDIT: I'm also upgrading to 8GB ram
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Step 1.
    Get external USB Case

Step 2.
    Install 1TB / SSD in laptop
    SSD > Drive Slot
    1TB > Optibay

Step 3.
    Boot from USB 250gb (Hold Option on Boot)
    Create a new user profile in your existing OSX copy

Step 4.
    Clone your Disk to 1TB (install Carbon Copy Cloner)

Step 5.
    Install a fresh copy of OSX to your SSD (you are now booting only from SSD).

Step 6.
    Using file transfer wizard transfer your applications from your newly created profile (this should retain all the serials etc of your old applications).

Step 6.
    Create an account in OSX for yourself on the fresh install (or use the one thats already there).

Step 7.
    Right click the profile in account settings and change the home folder to target your 1tb

Below for details.

http://chris.pirillo.com/how-to-move...-os-x-and-why/

You might need to retarget your itunes folder as well to the new drive.

Step 8.
    Clear the junk from your 1tb drive (redundant profiles/applications etc.)

Needless to say, dont wipe your 250 until you are sure everything is 100%.

Thats how I'd do it anyhows.
    Last edited by deevey; 03-31-2011 at 11:45 AM.

@ fullenglishpint - how do you flash snowleopard to the flash drive? how big of memory stick are you using?

thanks guys, your making me feel alot better about doing this myself

Just read that, cool, so if I were to clone everything onto my SSD could I then just move the home folder to the new drive and keep all the file paths for traktor/itunes etc intact?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    @ fullenglishpint - how do you flash snowleopard to the flash drive? how big of memory stick are you using?

thanks guys, your making me feel alot better about doing this myself
    http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-...ash-drive.html

there ya go dude. I've had everything sent to my UK address so hopefully it'll all be there when I go home for the easter weekend

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast