help with mixing non "dance" styles
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default help with mixing non "dance" styles

yeah, I'm trying to go beyond what I do (Drum and Bass and not that well to be perfectly honest) and mix some stuff that isn't "quantized" (I think that's the term for constant perfect time?) like rock and country (some chicago with some brad paisley solos would be slick I think ) along with the occasional dance track. But I'm having a hard time getting things gridded properly, if someone could give me a heads up on how it's done I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance

mike

Thanks for the links manchild, but those go into more "dance" style controllerism stuff with mix in and out loops and I'm trying to just blend between songs while keeping a vibe going. I'm just having a hard time with it in a conventional manner using beatgrids. Should I try to do it by ear without beatgridding the whole thing? if someone has a link to a video to something like that I'd be ecstatic.

the techniques explained by the video in the first link are what you want mate

Or you could just edit the songs to have a regular beat.

Import the track into ableton, warp the tracks, set the tempo to whatever you desire and export the audio. Now you can grid it normally.

Doing it by ear sounds horrible. I imagine trying to keep it in time would be near impossible with some tracks where the beat is rather irregular.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Or you could just edit the songs to have a regular beat.

Import the track into ableton, warp the tracks, set the tempo to whatever you desire and export the audio. Now you can grid it normally.

Doing it by ear sounds horrible. I imagine trying to keep it in time would be near impossible with some tracks where the beat is rather irregular.
    presuming the OP has ableton that is..

doing this way in ableton brings mixed results tho.. if i were going to use ableton to do it, i'd only warp a small section at the start and a small section at the end.

otherwise the song will loose it's feel. we all know subconsciously what a particular song is supposed to sound like and the warping of a whole track which contains 'real' instruments can alter the sound enough that our brains will pick up on it.

^^truth. making intros and outros in live is the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

What do you mean mixed results? You mean you lose the swing? Well if that bothers you just fix the first beat of every bar or something.

Intros and outros sucks as you lose the ability to layer the track in with others rather than just mixing it and out.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I've been wondering about getting ableton, but I like the "feel" of Traktor and it's pretty familiar to me, It seems like an awfully expensive proposition to just get ableton for the ability to warp tracks (though if I do get the job at the local club I could justify the expense to myself) I can see the two sides of the argument. The feel of many songs is what makes them great, (it would be sinful to warp a whole Cream song) but some modern rhythm styles are trying for the "lockstep" sound (see metal in general for one) what I wonder is if there are any other programs that "warp" songs (or do something to that effect) that aren't as expensive

Thanks for the advice everyone

Oh! nono! You don't need to DJ with ableton, you export the tracks out of ableton to make a new wav/mp3 and then you can use them inside Traktor.

I think deckadance has flexible beat grids though I'm really not sure. Might be worth looking into.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast