Audio crackles with un-mapped MIDI input
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Audio crackles with un-mapped MIDI input

I am currently redoing all my mappings and settings to have a fresh start with Traktor Pro 2, and am re-experiencing some weird issues concerning audio crackles.

When I twist just 1 knob of my Akai LPD8, it makes the audio crackle - or when twisted too rapidly even hang completely for a second or so, even when this knob is unmapped. It also happens when twisting multiple knobs (4 actually, more a proof of concept than an actual problem) on my Reloop Digital Jockey, 1 knob isn't enough here.
    The only way to fix this is by setting my latency at minimum 20ms, which I find unacceptably high.

I'm not sure how this is possible. I set 4 decks playing with all effects enabled (including beatmasher) and applied, this all plays without problems at 6.5ms (still rather high, but good enough for me), yet some un-mapped MIDI needs more resources?

My setup is:

Dell XPS 15, i3 380m, 4gb ram
    Audio2DJ
    Reloop Digital Jockey (Controller Edition)
    Akai LPD8

Any help much appreciated!
    Last edited by StephanV; 04-05-2011 at 09:13 AM.
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

Could just be a dirty potentiometer?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

All the knobs on the LPD8 have it, and the fact that I can replicate it on my RDJ (with multiple knobs at the same time) tells me that can't be it..
    Dell XPS 15 1080p -|- Kontrol X1 -|- Kontrol F1 -|- Akai LPD8 -|- Audio 6 -|- Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 -|- 2 * Reloop RP-4000 M3Ds

what happens if you map something to it? I've gotta admit I'm stumped!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Mapping doesn't make it better nor worse, not even when I apply some superknob stuff to it..

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Did it happen in the same maschine with TP? did you optimize your PC for audio use? are there any other services running?

The problem is your CPU not being able to handle the USB load.

Tech Mentor

It happened with TP on this laptop too, yes, although I believe the minimum latency to make it work was less than now - it wouldn't really have been workable otherwise..
    I don't really think it happened on my previous laptop too (this one's just a couple of months old), but I can't bee 100% sure on that.

I'm not sure what you mean with optimizing it for audio use - I suppose you mean not having installed all kinds of crap software and drivers? At this point, it's not exactly what you'd call optimized, but the issue also occured right after a clean Win7 install with basically nothing but Traktor installed. I also monitored the CPU load while twisting the knobs, and it basically never peaked above 10%..

I have been considering a dualboot for some time now, maybe this would be a good time to go for it, although I'm still not sure that's gonna fix it.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Have you tried troubleshooting the controller?

For example, try every USB port, different USB cables, see if it happens with no software open, or on different computers? It very well could just be the controller.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Keep in mind that TP showed only processing time latency (I think) and now you get the overall value, so it will be always higher.

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...dio+processing

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Dell XPS
    See your problem

Sounds its probably a USB issue either with bandwidth or maybe power? are you running from a Powered Hub or pulling power directly from the lappie ?

Have you tried it without your other controller / soundcard plugged in (route though internal audio only)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast