Scratching w/ VCI-300 in TRAKTOR3
    Tech Guru

Default Scratching w/ VCI-300 in TRAKTOR3

hey guys I was wondering if any of you have any experience using the Vestax VCI-300 or Vestax VCI-100 to "scratch" the decks in Traktor3 ???

I would love to be able to scratch within traktor 3, but am not prepared to upgrade to traktorscratch or purchase turntables. So I am very interested in purchasing the VCI-300 or VCI-100 as an alternative to use in conjunction with Traktor3 to create scratching fx.

Which is better for this purpose, the VCI-100 or the VCI-300 ???

or would it be cheaper and a better idea to just purchase turntables+mixer and upgrade to traktor scratch???

all opinions and experiences are welcome, cheers!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 01-16-2009 at 05:30 AM.

I'd be interested in the same info but based on the vci-100 ..... whats the feel like say compared to a cdj1000 or 800?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I know armsteada has some scratching videos on the "Mix" forum. While he doesn't really explain them you can see a bit of what the VCI-100 is capable of.

There are a lot of discussions on the VCI-100 and 300 (debates on the 14-bit MIDI difference especially) in the Controller forum, so a good search will get you the information you need.

It definitely wouldn't be cheaper to do two turntables and a mixer, though. A decent mixer and technics 1200's used will cost around $1000, if not more.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    It definitely wouldn't be cheaper to do two turntables and a mixer, though. A decent mixer and technics 1200's used will cost around $1000, if not more.
    Yeah this is what I thought, not to mention buying the update from traktor3 to traktor scratch on top of the tables+mixer.... could be pricey.

then again the VCI-300 is close to 1000$ itself. I think the VCI-100 might be more within my price range, otherwise i might as well go for the turntables/mixer with traktorscratch.

thanks

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

The only issue with the VCI-100 you might have, in comparison to the VCI-300, is it goesn't have 14-bit MIDI. It has been shown you can still do some sick scratches, but there are some issues with the resolution.

It's doable, though.

The other concern I'm seeing is USB3.0 being released toward the end of the year.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The only issue with the VCI-100 you might have, in comparison to the VCI-300, is it goesn't have 14-bit MIDI. It has been shown you can still do some sick scratches, but there are some issues with the resolution.

Ya i'm not into learning turntablism via midi controller or anything super complex like that. Just simple scratching to add a bit more flair to hiphop cuts, dropping acapellas and the like.

I'll leave the crab scratching and beat juggling side of things to Dj Rafik :P

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmVECh3_YQ