Starting up

Thread: Starting up

Tech Wizard

Default Starting up

So I've been looking to start Djing for a long time now, Ive been in and out of the tech seen and now there seems to be many good options available. I listen to a wide variety of music.

The purpose of my equipment will be for mixing techno/house but I would also like to sample and mix vocals/hiphop/and everything else (conrollerist Djing)

My question is which unit would you recommend? and why? I know the Kontrol s4 has an abundance of capabilities but the vci seems to be a great piece in its own way, and if I can possibly find one used for about $500 it seems tempting

1. VCI 100 se ARCADE + Audio Dj 2 + tma 1's + krk 6's
    2. Kontrol s4 + tma 1's + krk6's

Thanks!

WEll going off just the controllers, the s4 is particularly nice because of it's 4 dedicated cue point buttons and built in 4 channel mixer. The vestek has buttons too, which are more responsive than s4s most would say, but not so much the 4 channel mixer which is annoying if you ever wanna map for 4 decks. That said the s4 is significantly more expensive, and the vestek would be much cheaper to get your hands on. Also, i'm not sure if the vestek comes with traktor pro like the s4 does, which makes a big difference in terms of budget

There's plenty of other factors which obviously play into the differences between the two, but those are the main that come to mind.
    My equipment: Numark Omnicontrol Midi Controller, Traktor Pro (lol pro setup right?)

Rabid Season Mix

Tech Wizard

thanks for the links to those threads, it really is hard to make a decision on this.. Everyone seems to be going the way of the s4, do you think users will be moving away from the vci especially when it comes to new mappings in tp2?

I like the fact that the vci 100 comes with the arcade buttons which is great but using a midifighter with the s4 might be an alternative?

I have a version of TP1 so software wouldnt be a real issue unless they come up with a great mapping for tsp2 and would need to upgrade.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

My current setup is an S4, midi fighter and an X1. All of that together gives me everything I could ever want.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    My current setup is an S4, midi fighter and an X1. All of that together gives me everything I could ever want.
    did you previously own a vci 100?

S4... i have the VCI and S4. the S4 will give all and way more than you need right out of the box...
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    S4... i have the VCI and S4. the S4 will give all and way more than you need right out of the box...
    thanks for the feedback, Im going to see if i can find a vci 100 arcade used for a decent price, if not then I will be investing in the s4. Regardless of which one i pick, I am still new to Djing and i think both units will have more than enough features to keep me tied up for a while