external mixer question

Default external mixer question

if i wanted to mix externally using 4 decks in traktor, would i need a soundcard with at least 4 sets of outputs?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Yes.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

You could get away with 2 stereo channels and routing out each channel in mono if you have a really tight budget.

thanks for the quick replys guys. so if i wanted to use an external mixer, but not use timecoded vinyl, i could use a soundcard with 4 sets of outputs and no inputs? (the esi gigaport for example, which has only 8 analog outputs and no inputs http://audiolines.com/product.php?pr...cat=847&page=1) the setup i am going for is a 4 channel external mixer, using 2x akai mpd24 to control all 4 decks in traktor pro. i just need to figure out the type of soundcard i need. thanks again for the help..

Yup you got the idea, that one will work.

I would recommend anything with 8 outputs so you can use 2 for each deck. I am actually using an external mixer but my soundcard is a M-Audio firewire audiophile with 4 outputs. So i have them set up as analog and splited them to connect them to the mixer. Not ideal but it does not sound noticeble bad. You can notice when songs have stereo effects and sounds. But if I had the chance I would go for 8 outputs for 4 decks.

M-Audio FW410, I used it for many years, and it really served its purpose good. Now with the 610, you can get those 410's pretty cheap in various stores around the globe.

Nemo