newbie DJ mixer question
    Tech Mentor

Default newbie DJ mixer question

Hey DJTT! I've been on here for a while mostly lurking, I bought a VCI-100 a while back from DJTT and it has worked out great. I have recently started playing out (finally), albeit on Monday and Wednesday nights only (gotta start somewhere right?). My question is concerning mixers. I use the VCI-100 in Traktor Pro and currently use the internal mixer using the knobs on the controller itself. What benefit would I get and why should I get an external mixer? Does it just give you more control? Thanks for the help.

-Ryan

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Does it give you more control? Not necessarily. It comes down to preference. You essentially have an external mixer in the VCI-100 even if it's only using MIDI.

Some people prefer the sound of external mixer but I think that is a MAJOR personal preference.

But in my opinion, you'll be fine with the VCI-100. If you decide to go with DVS you might consider it, though you can still use the VCI-100 for that.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I like the feel of real mixers better.

And it's easier to upgrade things in pieces…though if you're happy with what you have, that's not really a concern.

Despite owning a xone:62, I've actually been using all controllers lately because I can't afford to upgrade my audio interface right now and I wanted to play with more than 2 discrete outputs.

But yeah…it's just preference. IMO, there are no controllers out there that feel as satisfying to use as some good mixers. But, there's no reason my opinion is "right" or any more valid than anyone else's.

Second to what Mostapha wrote.

External mixers are also the only good way of handling multiple DJs with different equipment. Digital kit doesn't really support this.

Personally, if I was to buy my gear all over again I might consider a pair of X1s, an Audio 8 and a Xone 92.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Supporting multiple DJs is the only reason I own an external mixer. And I only use it when the shithole clubs I DJ at have equipment that is awful. *shrug* In fact, I want to sell the damn thing so I can have a reason to not need to supply the events I spin with equipment.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I love the feel of an external mixer, but tbh I'm also not too bothered by using my VCI for internal mixing. I think the EQs are just fine, and that's the main thing a lot of people complain about.

As DvlsAdvct said, I mainly bought an external mixer to facilitate mulitple DJs.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

i use an external mixer, because i use a DVS, with timecoded CD's and records.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    i use an external mixer, because i use a DVS, with timecoded CD's and records.

JK
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

i would like using external mixers a lot more if djm-800s had decent eqs

I wouldn't, if I were you. Why buy a 20lb hunk of metal to do a job your portable controller can already do? Seems like an unneccessary headache to me.