Midifighter Extreme!! mod project!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ToS View Post
    Custom firmware?
    The firmware is basically an extension of Fatlimeys multiplexer code.

I read each of the 32 analogue inputs (8 per multiplexer, one multiplexer on each of the 4 analogue extension pins) into an array of bytes (the ADC gives us 10bit values, so I just right shift it by two bits to drop the 2 least significant bits). The first 12 values are passed to Fatlimeys existing superfader code (the only modification I made to this was to use uint8_t instead of uint16_t for each value, and to extend it from four superfaders to twelve). The rest are treated as buttons and I wrote some code to determine the button state (and transitions, since notes are only sent when the state changes). I do this by checking the current value against a threshold. There is no need for debounce code when using the analogue value.

The buttons are split into three groups (and a single specially treated "shift" button): 11 normal buttons, 4 bank buttons and 4 "global" bank buttons.

The bank buttons are rigged up so that the existing code for external banks mode reads their state and handles banking the midifighter as if they were connected directly to the digital expansion pins.

The "global" banks change the MIDI channel used by all other buttons (including the midifighter buttons), but not the knobs and faders. This is done by adding a global_bank value to the MIDI channel in the send code in midi.c, so if global_bank is 0, then the channel used is the one configured from the midifighter menu mode (3 by default), if global_bank is 1 then the channel is one greater than the selected one (4 by default) and so on.

When the shift button is pressed down, and a global bank button is pressed, then the MIDI channel is changed for the knobs and faders and works the same way as the global banks.

So, in summary, the code looks something like this (pseudocode):

Code:
    read MIDI input from USB, unchanged from the latest firmware source
    if (analogue expansion is enabled) {
        uint8_t adc_values[32];
        for (i = 0 to 31) {
            select multiplexer
            read analog pin one into adc_values
            read analog pin two into adc_values
            read analog pin three into adc_values
            read analog pin four into adc_values
        }

select global_bank MIDI channel
        static bool button_states[20];
        for (i = 12 to 31) {
            bool button_changed = false;
            bool button_pressed = false;
            if (adc_values[i] < up_threshold && button_states[i - 12] == false) {
                button_changed = true;
                button_pressed = false;
            }
            else if (adc_values[i] > down_threshold && button_states[i - 12] == true) {
                button_changed = true;
                button_pressed = true;
            }

if (button_changed) {
                button_states[i - 12] = button_pressed;

if (i < 24) {
                    if (i != shift_button) {
                        // Normal button
                            send midi note for button i-12, note on/off is button_pressed
                    } else {
                        // Shift button
                            handle shift button
                    }
                }
                else if (i < 28) {
                    // Global banks
                    if (button_pressed) {
                        global_bank = i - 24;
                    }
                }
                else {
                    // Banks
                    set button state bits so the external banks code can use it
                }
            }
        }
        send button state information to PIC

select shift+global MIDI channel
        existing superfader code
        select global_bank MIDI channel
    }
    existing midifigfhter code for banks, buttons, leds etc
    Theres obviously a little more to it, but that should give a reasonable idea as to what we changed.

The PIC code is very simple, and our PIC24 is really overpowered for what its used for (we use a PIC24 instead of a cheaper PIC16 because I happened to have an unused one already). All it does is read single bit buttons states on PORTA and set the correct bit on PORTB, which is connected to LEDs. Thats it.
    The input logic is something like this:
    Code:
    wait for SS to become set
    wait for CLK to become set
    read DAT
    set (or unset) appropriate PORTB bit 
    set ACK
    wait for CLK to become unset
    unset ACK
    repeat
    SS (slave select) is connected to midifighter digital pin 4 (the one not connected to multiplexers), the other three are connected to both the multiplexers and the PIC. A single LED state is sent through DAT (data) for each pulse on CLK (clock). ACK (acknowledge) is used for the PIC to tell the midifighter when it's ready for the next bit (rather than trying to time the clocks). The midifighter firmware then contains code like this:

Code:
    set SS
    set CLK
    set DAT to state of next LED
    wait for ACK to become set
    unset CLK
    wait for ACK to clear
    repeat for each LED

unset SS
    The midifighter sends the bits in the order that is most convenient for the PIC, so it has to shuffle them a little first (as the buttons are connected in slightly different orders than the LEDs).

The LED states are determined in two ways:

For the normal buttons, including shift button, if the button is down, the LED is on.
    For the bank buttons, only the LED for the current bank is on, the others are off.

The normal buttons could just as easily have been connected directly to an LED, but by having the midifighter control them, we can set them depending on MIDI input (eg, so traktor can control them), though our firmware does not yet do this.

There are a few more bugs to iron out, especially in the midifighter-PIC communication code and the midifighter code I wrote needs a major cleanup, but once this is done, we will most likely be releasing the code. Unfortunately I think we fried our midifighter so it will take a while before we can finish it.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

Badass dude! That is exactly what we wanted to see happen, and the reason there is an expansion with open source firmware.

Cant wait to see it finished!

This is excellent work. You've grokked the expansion ports, you've got an LED controller off a PIC, you're repurposing the source code to get the MIDI model to work how you want, you're multiplexing the analog inputs and you're using the Midifighter something like a USB-MIDI base station for your external hardware.

That's exactly how we imagined it being used. Rock on!

Fucking hell!

That was ALMOST geek...i mean greek to me!

Badass indeed!

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Expect a front page write up soon? Some big hitters on the forum giving lots of praise here.

I think its worth an article....

Don't think its up there with FM1.4.....but its definitely one of the few threads/forum members that have coded their own firmware or similar.

I would personally like to see more articles/tutorials on this midi device coding.

I understand how it works etc...but would like to know more.
    And I am sure there are others here that would like some advanced stuff like too.

Props dude!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Any chance of posting the PIC code? I've wanted to expand my palate beyond the atmega line of chips. I have a controller in the planning stages that will likely have close to 200 leds on it and was thinking of using a dedicated mcu for the leds so I can give the core atmega chip some breathing time... (over 150 controls--faders, buttons, encoders, pots, xypads on the controller as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    This is excellent work. You've grokked the expansion ports, you've got an LED controller off a PIC, you're repurposing the source code to get the MIDI model to work how you want, you're multiplexing the analog inputs and you're using the Midifighter something like a USB-MIDI base station for your external hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Fucking hell!

That was ALMOST geek...i mean greek to me!

Badass indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    I think its worth an article....

Don't think its up there with FM1.4.....but its definitely one of the few threads/forum members that have coded their own firmware or similar.

I would personally like to see more articles/tutorials on this midi device coding.

I understand how it works etc...but would like to know more.
    And I am sure there are others here that would like some advanced stuff like too.

Props dude!
    I speak greek and what Robin said was still way over my head. I have more a mechanical mind than electrical.

but tutorials would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sidetrakd View Post
    Unfortunately I think we fried our midifighter so it will take a while before we can finish it.
    Ouch ! Taking one for the team ?!
    London - UK
    VCI-100-SE Arcade Moded (v1.4 FW), 2 x CDJ-1000, 1 x 1210 MK2, A&H Xone:62, 2 x KRK RP 6 G2's, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, 1 x Midi Fighter, Audio8DJ, Focusrite Saffire 6 USB, Novation 25, Korg Kontrol, 1 x custom built MacPro (Quad Core i7, 6GB DDR3 RAM, OSX 10.7.1), 1 x MacBook Pro (2.2Ghz, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.6.8)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for making the decision to Open Source the MF code. Such nice code too

The way you read the two shift registers is ingenious and helped me speed up my button routines 10 fold... Plus being able to emulate 4banks mode correctly is also a plus

I don't have the spare buttons at the moment, but if someone wants the midi fighter code ported to an Arduino type chip let me know. It's almost directly compatible out of the box (aside from the MIDI and LUFA code)...

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast