hipster dub - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43

Thread: hipster dub

  1. #21
    Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey/NYC
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a genre going mainstream (it's a measure of success, isn't it?), but the bits of it that are mainstream are the ones that maybe shouldn't be.
    Everyone should just do what I do. DJ music no one likes so it never gets popular and you never have to bitch about it.

    You just have to pretend certain acts don't exist.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

    My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

    Divided we stand
    United we fall

  2. #22
    Tech Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    I have a fairly limited knowledge of Dubstep. It's just, stateside (Atlanta, anyway) is SO bro. I'm fine with Dubstep having gone in that direction, but here it seems like the only direction it's going. I don't think there's anything wrong with a genre going mainstream (it's a measure of success, isn't it?), but the bits of it that are mainstream are the ones that maybe shouldn't be.

    Not that it's my place to say what an entire style of music should(n't) become


    same over here. yeah i'm not a fan of flux pavilion and that sound either, reminds me of cheesy electrohouse like bloody beetroots - just different packaging.

    not losing sleep over it though. if kids like that music wicked and good for the artists who are making mad bank horsing around in the studio and playing music at sold out parties - sounds like a good time to me.

  3. #23
    Tech Guru deevey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D
    Posts
    3,675

    Default

    You just have to pretend certain acts don't exist.
    Like anything dubstep ?




    <<<< refuses to believe in such a genre

  4. #24
    Tech Mentor heaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    same over here. yeah i'm not a fan of flux pavilion and that sound either, reminds me of cheesy electrohouse like bloody beetroots - just different packaging.

    not losing sleep over it though. if kids like that music wicked and good for the artists who are making mad bank horsing around in the studio and playing music at sold out parties - sounds like a good time to me.
    I mean, Cracks was good (IMO)...

    The only issue for me, is that the word Dubstep is completely loaded with negative connotations (and 0 positive ones), that's why I'm defensive.

  5. #25
    Tech Guru exokinetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The best place on earth.
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    The only issue for me, is that the word Dubstep is completely loaded with negative connotations (and 0 positive ones), that's why I'm defensive.
    Post one dubstep track with a positive message/ vibe.

    It is a genre that feeds and spews negativity...

    Everything is about being in pain, or depressed, being angry and wanting to break/hurt something/someone.

    And raping bitches.

    Or the main focus of the tracks is how novel the sound is.

    Where is the positive energy, or message that dubstep is providing as a genre?

    There isn't any.
    I'm addicted to WoW.


    Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

  6. #26
    Tech Mentor heaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Post one dubstep track with a positive message/ vibe.

    It is a genre that feeds and spews negativity...

    Everything is about being in pain, or depressed, being angry and wanting to break/hurt something/someone.

    And raping bitches.

    Or the main focus of the tracks is how novel the sound is.

    Where is the positive energy, or message that dubstep is providing as a genre?

    There isn't any.
    I meant negative as in lacking artistic value. It's certainly dark

  7. #27
    Tech Guru exokinetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The best place on earth.
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    I meant negative as in lacking artistic value. It's certainly dark
    To the extent that they copy a well known track formula, and use well known combinations of sounds, based on the same sample packs:

    There is no artistic value.

    Copy -> Paste -> Music?
    I'm addicted to WoW.


    Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

  8. #28
    Tech Mentor heaps's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Aaaand I will never try to defend a style of music I enjoy on the internet again.

  9. #29
    Tech Guru exokinetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The best place on earth.
    Posts
    561

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heaps View Post
    Aaaand I will never try to defend a style of music I enjoy on the internet again.
    Yeah, beating a dead horse for the loose.
    I'm addicted to WoW.


    Please do not bother me about being a productive member of society.

  10. #30
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by exokinetic View Post
    Post one dubstep track with a positive message/ vibe.

    It is a genre that feeds and spews negativity...

    Everything is about being in pain, or depressed, being angry and wanting to break/hurt something/someone.

    And raping bitches.

    Or the main focus of the tracks is how novel the sound is.

    Where is the positive energy, or message that dubstep is providing as a genre?

    There isn't any.
    eXo, its obvious you are referring to Brostep, or American dubstep. The root of the current genre is dub, which is full of positive messages. While it is certainly dark, the sweeping generalizations you're making dont serve anyone.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78W2Ktr5HCY

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •