BCR2000 and controlling VST

Default BCR2000 and controlling VST

I bought a BCR2000 a couple years back with the naive delusion that I’d hook it up to my host (then FL Studio), effortlessly map knobs and buttons to my favorite VST synths, store/archive them easily, make use of them daily and sacrifice my mouse to Moloch.

Yea needless to say that was foolish. 1st off my host officially “didn’t support the controller”. This was one of the main reasons I started looking into other hosts and eventually saw how much Ableton had to offer. So I load up Ableton and immediately load up the premaped template and am loving the ease of use this thing is giving to me with the common controls in Ableton. Im also loving the right-click-map then store in the BCR method.

Then I try to use it for what I bought it for…controlling VSTs and it pretty much goes to hell. I know VST is an entirely different beast but the BCR is marketed as being able to “control your favorite VSTs” and it can…sort of…in the fashion that any midi device can pretty much do it…..in that session…..for that moment….until you reboot….or the device is turned off.

Needless to say Im disappointed (again). To me…the way this thing is marketed misleading. There is nothing wrong with the hardware (per se…that I’ve found) but the software interface “solution” and the literally useless “learn” option for mapping make this thing just an other piece of hardware for me. I’ve scanned the yahoo user group for it and even tried running their version of the BC Edit and Im just missing something I guess.

Is there anybody out there who successfully uses this or the BCF to control VSTs consistently (i.e. map, store, archive). Anybody consistently power on and use your pre-mapped knobs to control a VST flawlessly based on what you stored in a prior session of Live? Anybody successfully using the BC Edit software or the yahoo user group software who’d be willing to shed on light on it for me?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I don't own a BCR, but I can assume there are instructions in the manual for saving your mappings. I'm sure Tekki can lay down the education on this one
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I don't own a BCR, but I can assume there are instructions in the manual for saving your mappings. I'm sure Tekki can lay down the education on this one
    rtfm, right

That is sort of my issue. I've sought various methods of trying to learn the ins and outs of the thing. I just dont think it is very clear and my desired/expected results are not being achieved.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

That's fair. I'm sure Tekki will hit up this forum and give you the advice you need.

Too often do people not take that first step.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Woah dudes... just saw this one... How could I have been looking over it.

It's a long read, but I am trying to leave a mental note as to trying to help you out on this one.
    Please bare with me!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    rtfm, right

That is sort of my issue. I've sought various methods of trying to learn the ins and outs of the thing. I just dont think it is very clear and my desired/expected results are not being achieved.
    RTFM with a Behringer manual...? No f-ing way! Almost all my knowledge regarding the BCR essentials was due to PhillL from the native instruments forums.

I have to be honest with you, I am not that experienced controlling external VSTs within Ableton.
    With External I am talking VSTs that are not standard, or not shipped within Ableton.

What I did mind, was that every new project I started within Ableton, I had to remap the BCR all over again, so I finished out making some project templates.

Don't know if that could solve your problems. But for me it did.

I have a automatic tendency to use mouse anyway when using external VSTs.
    With internal VSTs -> project templates.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --