New to the DJ world
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to the DJ world

I've been visiting this site for couple of months now but finally decided to register. I'm 20yrs old & reside in the live music capital of the world, Austin, TX. I've ALWAYS been a huge music person. I listen to just about every type of music but my favorites are trance & house. After months of hating school I finally decided to chase a long time passion in DJing. Its something I've always wanted to do but just never was motived enough till now. I recently just purchased a Numark mixtrack pro to learn the basics on & since I plan on becoming a laptop dj. I currently am learning to use Virtual DJ & plan to move on to better software like traktor or Serato once I get VDJ down. I would appreciate any advise, comments or tips/tricks that would help. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by chrismoon27; 04-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.

>music capital of the world
    >Austin, Texas
    wat

Anyway, there isn't quite any good specific advice I can give, since you said you have been visiting the forums for a while. My first response would have been "lurk more," so as to be more informed. The forums provide great insight into various controllers, and that would probably be the first step - getting a good controller. You would have to decide what kind of DJ'ing you would like to pursue. If you don't know where you want to go with DJ'ing, which is the case, since you're asking the question, I would just say you should do more research. look at more controllers, more techniques, watch videos of DJs, looks at different equipment other than controllers, and just explore the possibilities. rudimentary production with a DAW might also be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by chrismoon27 View Post
    the music capital of the world, Austin, TX.
    when did this happen?

I see: Austin earned the title of Live Music Capital of the World, because of the number of live music venues.

Yes I plan on just learning as much as I can & just try to soak up as I can & see where it takes me.

Yeah there's always a concerts going on everyday here.

Tech Wizard

Welcome

My best advice would be to save and buy an S4!! Also get out as much as you can to clubs and events seeing how it goes down and also to keep abreast of the music you're into.
    When you're comfortable you can throw a mix together start giving it out to your friends, then beyond.
    Have fun and enjoy
    Oh and remember YouTube is your friend with regards tips and tricks, as is this very forum and site, times a scrillion!

Quote Originally Posted by BellectroniQ View Post
    Welcome

My best advice would be to save and buy an S4!! Also get out as much as you can to clubs and events seeing how it goes down and also to keep abreast of the music you're into.
    When you're comfortable you can throw a mix together start giving it out to your friends, then beyond.
    Have fun and enjoy
    Oh and remember YouTube is your friend with regards tips and tricks, as is this very forum and site, times a scrillion!
    Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah I plan on eventually moving up to better equipment & software once I get a lot better & save up more $$$. Yeah between this & YouTube, they've been really helpful.

If possible make friends with the local dj's. They will sort you out.

Get off VDJ asap. Its uses are very limited. Thats what I started on back in the day. Wish i would have just jumped right into Traktor. Get Traktor and start learning from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Viirus::.. View Post
    If possible make friends with the local dj's. They will sort you out.
    Thankfully there are many DJs here in Austin. The only thing is theres a lot of good hip-hop DJs but as far as dance DJs go, they're a little harder to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast