Master deck rules don't seem to apply in my Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Master deck rules don't seem to apply in my Traktor

I was under the impression that the auto master deck should be the one that has the least amount of time left on what ever track is playing? I dunno, might be wrong. But if that is the case then mine more often than not doesn't abide to those rules. If I got a track with like 1 min left and a track with like 5 mins left a lot of the time it makes the one with 5 mins left the master deck. Quite frustrating when to me the obvious thing would be to have the one that was loaded last (the one with the most amount of time left) be the slave deck.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks

The master deck is the one that has been playing the longest, start A then B, A will be the master untill you stop it. and vice versa
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

what he said. if no decks are playing, the master clock takes over as master, so a deck that's synced will sync to that if you load a new track.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

Oh, wow how the fuck are you supposed to keep track of that if you're mashing up loads of tunes in quick succession? Especially if you're mixing on 4 decks, or beat juggling the same tune. There should be options for this. I'd sooner it be the one with the least amount of time left is the master deck. Or even better, as soon as you change the master deck manually using your controller it stays in maunal mode until you load a new track. Is that possible to map?

So you're saying if you stop a track then start it again it will become the slave when it was previously the master? Does this work with timecode? i.e. say I grab the vinyl or CD so it stops momentarily will it then change to being the slave? And when you say 'the longest', what if I have a tune playing for 2 mins and one for 5 mins, stop the one that's been playing for 5 mins for only 10 seconds then start it again, will it still be the master? As technically it has been playing for longer than the 2 min track.

Sorry it seems very complex when it needn't be.

Thanks for your help

Its not been playing longer, you stopped it, and why does it really matter what the master is?
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by dodge View Post
    Oh, wow how the fuck are you supposed to keep track of that if you're mashing up loads of tunes in quick succession? Especially if you're mixing on 4 decks, or beat juggling the same tune. There should be options for this. I'd sooner it be the one with the least amount of time left is the master deck.
    With respect, that's a fucking silly idea. If you want to be able to keep track of where the master is, having it switch over automatically when one track has less time left than the one which was master before is definitely not the way to do it.

If you were playing a 10 minute track but only using the first 3 minutes, then you loaded a 3 minute track, that would immediately switch to master which would help nothing.

The way it works now is simple, you're playing a track and it's the master, you load a new track and it syncs, the old track stays master until it's stopped and the new one takes over.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

you can map a button to switch auto on/off and map buttons to manually switch the master. i have this mapped but only for those occasions where i want a harsh tempo change.

think auto on/off is under gloabl if not tempo

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    With respect, that's a fucking silly idea. If you want to be able to keep track of where the master is, having it switch over automatically when one track has less time left than the one which was master before is definitely not the way to do it.

If you were playing a 10 minute track but only using the first 3 minutes, then you loaded a 3 minute track, that would immediately switch to master which would help nothing.

The way it works now is simple, you're playing a track and it's the master, you load a new track and it syncs, the old track stays master until it's stopped and the new one takes over.
    How is it a silly idea? Thats like saying you not liking tomatoes is fucking silly. Everybody is different, and everybody has different mixing styles, tastes, performances, preferences and work flows. I didnt say thats how it should be I said there should be options. I personally would prefer it if I could have what ever tune has the least amount of time left becomes the master.

And yes the 10 min tune and 3 min tune thing you mentioned is exactly what would happen. But I personally like to know my tunes before I play them... therefore knowing what kinda length they are, where abouts I am in the track etc. I do a lot of scratching, cutting back and forth, and stopping and starting so my master decks are switching all over the place which is what is fucking me up and I have to keep looking at the screen. Hence why I personally would know where I stand if what ever track has the least amount of time is the master.

So sorry if you think it's a "fucking silly idea", but then I'm not you am I.

whatevs. If you think that would fit better with your workflow then I'm sure you know what you're talking about. Start a ticket with NI if you want, but I can't imagine a lot of people requesting that feature.

Maybe 'fucking' was a bit harsh, but I stand by silly

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    you can map a button to switch auto on/off and map buttons to manually switch the master. i have this mapped but only for those occasions where i want a harsh tempo change.

think auto on/off is under gloabl if not tempo
    Ok, maybe you can help. The problem I face is cos I scratch tunes up and stop them and start them, mix them out and bring them back in etc. the master deck is always changing. Ok, I get the whole point of what ever tune was last stopped becomes the slave but say I fuck with the platter on 2 tunes that are playing, the master deck might have changed from what deck I remember it being on. Say then I go to the FX or fuck with the cue points etc, if I want to hit sync on what ever deck I remember being the slave deck sometimes I'm hitting it and nothing happens, this is due to the master deck changing as I've been stopping and starting tracks constantly. So for me to stand there in the middle of a performance and try think back to what deck I last stopped isn't really practical.

I try not to look at the screen so much but obviously you gotta look at the wave form from time to time to see where you're at in the track, hence me preferring what ever track has the least amount of time left being the master (or even what ever deck last had a tune loaded into it being the slave, cos that I can remember). So can you see a way around this? Im thinking something along the lines of when I hit one of the 'set to master' buttons it takes it out of auto mode. But then would the best way to go back into auto mode be to have it assigned to a 'load to deck' button? can you see any issues that might arise from having it set up that way? I dont really use the internal master clock so there wont be an issue there.

Thanks for your help

edit:

I'd sooner not have a dedicated button to take it in and out of manual mode, I have had it set up this way before and its just an extra function I have to stay on top of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast