MC's, your views . . . .

Default MC's, your views . . . .

Last night at a DJ competition that we participated in (still to hear the results, but looking promising), we were in room 2 and it was fully packed and the crowd were going mental!

We had an MC come up to us about 30 mins in and asked us if he could plug in his mic, we were cool with that as it was something extra to our set. All was okay until he plugged the mic into the mixer, as HE INSISTED ON HAVING HIS MIC VOLUME SO HIGH IT KEPT CUTTING OUT OUR DJ SET, PLUS HE WAS TURNING UP THE GAIN SO HIGH THE MIXER WAS CONSTANTLY ON RED!

His MC'ing was okay to start with but it ruined the last 10 minutes of our set as he refused to go as apparently "The crowd are loving it", where they were actually giving him thumbs down. We dropped so many hints that he was pissing us off and his cable kept hitting the FX on our launchpad and could have hit a cue point accidentily.

Normally on a club night this wouldn't fuss us but it irritates us as it was a DJ competition not an MC'ing competition. So we now run a no MC rule for all sets, or they send us a tape well in advance and don't go anywhere near the mixer!

Anyone have simular experiences? How did you deal with them?

RANT OVER.
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

what a D-bag. If he was getting a thumbs down, why didn't you just cut the mic channel, unplug the mic, hand the plug over to him ceremoniously and invite him to get the fuck out of the booth?
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    what a D-bag. If he was getting a thumbs down, why didn't you just cut the mic channel, unplug the mic, hand the plug over to him ceremoniously and invite him to get the fuck out of the booth?
    hahah +100
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

I have been an MC for some years in the past, but my biggest rule was:"Shut my mouth as much as possible, let the music speak as much as possible."

Nowadays this seems to be a rare thing for MCs to do.

And I'm not even touching the volume bit... An MC supports the music, so he should never, and I repeat NEVER cut the DJ set.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Hate them. Piss off Harry Shotta.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Yeah we would have pulled out the mic but literally as soon as he started pushing up the gain and cutting the music, the next DJ was preparing to come on.

I have seen some amazing MC's at this club, shame this guy wasn't one of them!

I definately have to agree about the MC's complementing the music, this guy seemed to not know his music and later on in the night I found out he was a hardcore MC *shudders*.

Oh well you learn as you go . . .
    | TSP2 | Behringer DJX 750 | NI Audio 8 | Asus Eee PC | Novation Launchpad | Kontrol X1 | 2x Technics 1210 MK II's

Music comes first. The MC comes last.