What Is The Perfect Starting Song To A Live Set?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What Is The Perfect Starting Song To A Live Set?

I've only played a bunch of house parties to date, and I usually open the set with King Of Africa - Douster. I know this has already been used by Crookers and Steve Aoki, amongst others, so i'm looking for a new song that has a delicious break, and people can relate to.

play a totally non-edm song, i.e. "dreams to dream"( killer ), and build your drums and percussion to a huge lifting break, something really deep even you cant not dance too xP haha i think starting your set with something completely unexpected then dropping a huge track is pretty good but it all depends on your style you know?

Tech Convert

I don't think there's a perfect song to start a live set, but I'd think about what kind of mood you're looking to establish in the beginning. Like watching a movie, for instance. You know how most movies start out with a big landscape shot to show the location? It doesn't have to be specific, but in the first five minutes of most movies you know whether you're in a big city, or rural Pennsylvania. I think sets should be programmed in the same fashion.

Alternatively, I think that if you have to play one song each and every time you perform, you might want to use something that warms the crowd up. Think of it like sex, first there's that "Eyes across the room" moment, then the flirting, then the foreplay, etc, etc, until the climax.

Your mileage may vary, but I find starting with "Road To Nowhere" by Ozzy Osbourne hard to beat. Not only does the track kick like a fucking mule, but it also gives the punters a tantalising glimpse of what they can expect from the night (or indeed, the rest of their lives).
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

yatta
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

^oh yeah, also yatta (if my regulars beg me to finish the night with a victorious rendition of 'Road to Nowhere' instead)
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

idk about starting.... usually whatever i wanna hear....but if i want to end the night..... seal - kiss from a rose.

place clears out like someone died.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

My favorite starting track is the one that mixes perfectly with the outgoing DJ.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Guru
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

I usually start electro sets with a Dark Oscillators acapella (the We Were in the Dark one) or the Neo phone call from the end of the first Matrix film and I the fade in a cued and glitched Hey Boy, Hey Girl remix by 2 Many DJs and then into my own remix of Justice's Phantom Pt II.

Within 5 minutes I usually have everyone in the palm of my hand after starting with songs that everyone knows and it pulls them in.

If I'm mixing dubstep, I usually start with same acapellas before fading in a on the fly cued up and glitched version of Bare Noize's remix of Skrillex's Kill Everybody.

Both intros usually get everyone into it straight away.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast