looking for fellow analogue sound enthousiasts to develop cool device
    Tech Wizard

Default looking for fellow analogue sound enthousiasts to develop cool device

Hello,

i've been DJ'ing for over 20 years now, have been using all kinds of music-media, from vinyl to CD's and now a laptop with Traktor and a midi-controller. Besides that i've run a record label that released vinyl releases which we often produced and mastered ourselves, and i have a nice studio with lots of analogue and digital gear.

Summing it up: when DJ'ing i still always notice that digital music files sound different from vinyl records, when played at loud volumes over club PA's. I've been investigating this for some time, using test-signals on CD and vinyl, and comparing the results etc.etc. and i have created some theories about what is happening.

The same kind of thing happens when using analogue tape, even simple stereo consumer type compact cassette recorders. F.e. i once recorded a mix i did with only CD's directly to compact cassette and burned the cassette track to CD again, this mix sounds much nicer and warmer than mixes recorded directly to HD, especially when played at louder volumes. It's simply less harsh to the ears.

Anyway, i am thinking about maybe getting together with some fellow enthousiasts and try to create either a hardware-device or a software-plugin that tries to recreate these behaviours of vinyl and tape so when playing out in a club you can simply use the VST plugin or connect the hardware device between your soundcard or CDJ player and the mixer, and get better/warmer/smoother sound.

So if anyone is interested in joining and exchanging ideas about this, hook me up at olaf AT expansions.nl or through this forum. It would be nice to see how we can develop something usefull for the digital dj community

BTW, i am aware of all the tape and vinyl plugins that are developed, and i think they don't give the same effect as regular vinyl playback, so my aim is to really aim it, focussed on vinyl club PA reproduction, not really high-end studer 2" studio tape reproduction

Olaf

Have you tried PSP Vintate Warmer ? It can mimic the saturation that you hear with the tape recordings.

I personally think it works really well.

Edit:

Ok maybe that was a dumb question considering the last part of your post.

Id like to know what kind of emulation alogrythms in particular you are looking for though.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 01-17-2009 at 08:15 AM.

Tech Wizard

yes, as i said, i've tested and heard them all (except the EL Fatso hardware device)

PSP Vintage warmer is nice, generating even harmonics and compression/limiting, but it's not the sound that i am hearing over clubPA's and not the effect i'm after

Olaf