Some questions about customizing 1.3 (and possibly 1.5) Mappings
    Tech Wizard

Default Some questions about customizing 1.3 Mappings

Hello All!

I am a fresh owner of a VCI-100 and try to remap it's controls to fit them to my personal needs. While doing this, I found a lot of annoying restrictions with the VCI-Mapping that keep me from having my "dream layout". While searching for a solution, I stumbled upon this site and I think the modified 1.3 Firmware might be a way to achieve this.

But before purchasing and possibly voiding my warranty, I just want to be sure and therefore would like to ask the community some questions, especially to the people who already made their own settings based on 1.3. So here we go:

1) The "effect" buttons on the mixer and the rightmost button on the effect section are linked together, react to the same Midi-Notes. Is that the same in 1.3? I am OK with the way the effect buttons are mapped, but the "effect" buttons above the cue buttons should react completely independent from the fx section.
    2) "Vinyl Mode" seems to be tied to the jogwheels' behaviour. My problem is that there is no separate midi event when releasing the jogwheel while _not_ being in vinyl mode. My Idea is to change jogwheel behaviour automatically based on wether the deck is running or not and use the Vinyl Button for something else. This is not possible ATM. Would be much better if the jogwheel would be decoupled from the vinyl mode button and _always_ send a separate note when releasing the jogwheel. Possible with 1.3?
    3) It seems that there is only one "kill switch" on the midlow EQ buttons. Would be much better if all EQ buttons had this functionality, but this is not crucial for my setup.
    4) Is there a way in your firmware for the dual LEDs (like in the cue button) to actually switch them completely OFF instead of just changing colors?
    5) I also plan to use the modified rubber rotary knobs. Is it possible to use them also for the small knobs like balance?

And last but not least: what about my warranty if I change the firmware?

A lot of questions, but I would really appreciate any answers! Of course, I could also post my modified settings if anybody is interested.

Thanks a lot,
    Frank
    Last edited by frankiee; 01-17-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Tech Wizard

hmmmm, nobody here with experience in customizing Layouts for 1.3?

OK, after further research I think I can answer some of these questions for myself:

1) This seems to be solved.
    2) There seems to be a "Jog off" Note in 1.3 even when not in vinyl mode, but still the CC Number of the wheel is determined by the "vinyl mode" button. Think this is hardcoded into the unit.
    3) Does not seem to be solved. Would be a nice addition for a future firmware update but not sure if there is a hardware limitation. Maybe this knob is a bit different in hardware.
    4) also does not seem to be solved
    5) still unclear to me

Maybe it makes sense to start a new thread with suggestions for further improving the firmware?

For now, I'll try to achieve as much as possible with FW 1.2 and hope to be able to upgrade my unit as soon as the new upgrade kits are available ;-) If anybody is interested, I will gladly post my work here.

Thanks to all!
    Frank