Midi Fighter Vs. Akai MPD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Midi Fighter Vs. Akai MPD

Hey Everyone,
    My first post but I have been stalking this site for over a year now and I have a question for all of you Midi Fighter owners.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to start a war; just an honest question.

Here it is - I have been debating on buying a Midi Fighter or a custom Midi Fighter, but after doing some serious research I ask myself - "what is the point?"

I just priced a Midi Fighter out (assembled, etc.) and the total is $200, not including shipping. A custom Midi Fighter is $450 to start.

Doesn't it make more sense to purchase an MPD 24 or MPD 26? Both are available for $200 (including shipping where I live). How about the MPD 32 for $300?

The Midi Fighter doesn't have touch-sensitive pads, faders or knobs but is more expensive than the akai products. The MPD 32 has more options than what the custom Midi Fighter can provide and is pound-for-pound a better deal.

AGAIN - I'm not bashing DJ TechTools, but I have to ask you all, what is the advantage to purchasing a Midi Fighter over an MPD? Am I missing something?

I want to purchase one more controller with pads or buttons for DJing with my S4. I plan on mapping hot cues and FXs to the controller instead of using the buttons on the S4.

Can someone let me know if I am missing something really groundbreaking between Midi Fighter and MPDs (other then selecting the button colours)?

Thanks - Peace and Beats!

- Snipaz

Here's my current setup:
    M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd Gen.
    Behringer MS20 Monitors
    Traktor S4
    Presonus Audiobox USB (with Mic and Headphones = 1Box)
    N.I. Maschine (I don't want to use this for DJing, I would rather travel with a cheaper controller i.e. Midi Fighter or MPD)
    Mac Book Pro
    Last edited by snipaz; 04-12-2011 at 12:29 AM.

i believe this is really just about the feel of the arcade buttons which are almost exclusive to the midi fighter. since i never really liked to play cue points etc with drumpads or regular buttons, i'd like to get my hands on one. (other than that theyre just real sexy gear)

if you like the pads on the akai, it's a fince choice too!
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

The midifighter has great mappings for Traktor already, with the MPD you'd have to make your own or find a custom one someone has made. And since DJTT is a small company they can't really sell their products for super cheap either, but you do get that small company love and support with the mf and this forum is always really helpful too. I have tried both, but I stayed with the mf since I was hooked on their mappings and support.
    MBP 13" | Midifighter | Launchpad | MPK Mini

midifighter: you get djtt mappings + buttons are good for cue point juggling

mpd: if you wana do your own mappings and you don't wana cue point juggle, then hands down get this.
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Quote Originally Posted by IznremiX View Post
    midifighter: you get djtt mappings + buttons are good for cue point juggling

mpd: if you wana do your own mappings and you don't wana cue point juggle, then hands down get this.
    You can use DJTT mappings with MPDs in most circumstances, but you have to be a bit clever to make Instant Gratification to work.

Interstingly enough it was actually using my friend's MPD24 that made me want to buy a midifighter, since I saw the flexibility of the 16 button grid but wanted the arcade button feel, small size and DJTT support. If I wanted a controller to do everything, I probably wouldn't get a MF. That's arguable, but it's my point of view. However, it makes a brilliant complimentary controller to an existing setup.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

How many midi notes does the MPD send out on one fader? The Mf sends out three, maybe four I believe enabling some wicked mapping tricks that can't be done with anything else.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Personally I'd go for the mpd. I think a lot of the love for midi fighters is just the desire to support the community here and it's a bit like a badge that states that you are a real DJTT type fellow.

Can't you use those midi programs to make a single note trigger multiple ones? I thought that was what they were for. I dunno. I've never touched them.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    Can't you use those midi programs to...
    Keep in mind that it will take someone hours and hours to map out the MPD from scratch to match the midi fighter's mapping. So the question would be: Are you the DIY type of person that will take the time to make an awesome mapping? Or will you spend the extra dough to have those mappings already done for you? Not only that, DJTT keeps on constantly adding new features to the old mappings. I think the DJTT forum supports both! This whole site was based on the DIY.

Fair enough I suppose. It is better out of he box with traktor, cannot deny that.

Honestly man I felt the same way. I was like ... uhh i'm paying $200 for fucking 16 buttons? Fuck that. Especially since I already have a Maschine, and I figured I could map that or use that as a a MIDI fighter. But as mentioned before, the feel and responsiveness of the MIDI fighter is phenomenal.

Side note: I am not sure how hard it is to copy the instant gratification mapping but I would ask Quigley because he was attempting to do it a while ago.

Xtanw convinced me over night though after watching instant gratification videos (it was pretty easy since I suffer from GAS - refer to DLVS post for this on the other thread) and at first i was like "crap I think I wasted $200", a day later when I got the combos down... it was the sickest thing since sliced bread.

The great part is the mapping allows you to do sick transitions too, and the buttons are fun as hell. For me I hit the trifecta. I supported DJTT (which is my second home), it allowed my transitions to sound sick as hell, and I got more buttons!

I love my Midifighter to death, and when I can afford it i'm buying a custom one too. It's just a truly awesome product once you figure out how to use it best with your style of mixing.
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 04-12-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast