Small monitor speakers for booth listening?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Small monitor speakers for booth listening?

Hi guys,

I am a beginner and I usually play at house parties and private events for fun. In this environment I find it's often hard to hear the music good enough. Maybe the speakers are far away, not loud enough, positioned too far away from my sweet spot etc. It's not very fun to do all the mixing in the headphones. I would like to be able to mix without them and was thinking about having a pair of small but great speakers at the make-shift dj booth.

Is this something DJs do? Are there any particular active speakers you can recommend? I am not too fond of the Logitech style cheapo PC speakers.
    Check out my pages on SoundCloud and MixCloud

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

yup, that's why most pro level mixers have a 'booth' output. I'm not sure about a recommendation, depends on your circumstances. I don't have much experience of club installs lol. KRKs are always a good bet for sound definition and bang for your buck.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Hmmm.... always depends on how loud you need em. For a smaller club situation a friend of mine got himself a pair of JBL Control 1 speakers and connected two of these to their back:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tamp_pm...tufenmodul.htm

Not really massively loud, but I guess for house parties and such, absolutely adequate. Great if free space is an issue, and for monitoring, one could just as well use only one of them.

This might be a good solution if you have a spare one of these somewhere. A lot of people do.

Thanks guys. How would one go about connecting a pair of these to the Kontrol S4? Splitting the RCA output? I have no equipment that utilizes the XLR output.

Gear: rMBP15" + Traktor Kontrol S4 + S4 Flight Case + Traktor Pro + iPad with Traktor DJ + Tonium Pacemaker

btw the S4 doesn't have XLRs, they're TRSs, but yeh you could just get something that plugs into them. You can get cables to convert TRS to most other types of plug, such as RCA if needed, but TRS is a balanced signal and it's nice if you can use that.

The master RCA just mirrors the Master TRS.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

Oh, right.

Actually these may be a good choice. http://www.trustedreviews.com/multimedia/review/2009/03/12/Creative-Gigaworks-T40-Series-II/

They will not be in a club environment but at home parties. I haven't had a listen but according to reviews they should be loud enough. Will have a listen as soon as possible.

whatever works for you. I'd prefer something with a little more oomph and definition, cos I love to hear the music just as much as everyone else.

*cough*I LOVE MY KRKs*cough*

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    whatever works for you. I'd prefer something with a little more oomph and definition, cos I love to hear the music just as much as everyone else.

*cough*I LOVE MY KRKs*cough*
    Well, I agree. Those would be by far the cheapest parts of my setup. But I will give them a listen. When there's enough oomph in the room I won't need them anyway. But I guess I will be spending a fortune on monitors in the end. I always end up doing that

Just had a look at KRK's RoKit series. Which KRK do you have? I might opt for the RoKit 5 G2 series. Looks like they might do the job. Not very portable though, but that's the penalty for better sound.

look at my sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast