Etiquette for a newer DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Etiquette for a newer DJ

Hey everyone, been DJ'ing for about two years now and just started playing out. I've had three shows now, all of which I was the only DJ for about 4 1/2 hours straight. My question is what is the etiquette for DJ'ing extended periods of time like this? Should I be taking breaks, or putting on a long track to take a break? What I've been doing is basically actively DJ'ing the entire time, making sure the mix was interesting and that I wasn't just fading songs in and out one right after the other.

So how would you approach long form gigs like this?

Thanks as usual, this is the most helpful forum I have ever used

Sure, mix well every time and make it interesting, that's great!

Just make sure you control the energy a bit, I think there were a couple of blog articles about this last year. Basically, just don't come in hard with all the bangers too early on, and don't keep up a massive energy level for 4.5 hours straight. build in a few drinks breaks where everyone can calm down for a few minutes, then gradually build it up again. You don't want everyone to burn out at 11.30.

Unless everyone's on drugs, then all bets are off.

DRUGS ARE BAD, KIDS!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

check out this post done earlier on djtt ... may help you out http://www.djtechtools.com/2010/07/2...a-dance-floor/

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

hehe yeh that was it. Blimey, that was before I even joined the forum!
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Awesome thanks for the link, was actually going through the archives myself

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I would say yes, you need take breaks in a 4 1/2 hour set. A nice long song or short 15 minute pre made mix that gives you enough time to go to the bathroom would be good. I wouldn't do that more than twice in that time though and probably just once unless it was really needed.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

This is one thing I wish Traktor had that DJay by Algoriddim does have. In DJay you can set a playlist, tell it to only do a certain amount of time of each song and randomly pick the next ones. If I was doing a house party or something, I'd run Automix for 15 minutes or so and walk away.

As an added bonus, after 15 minutes of the software trainwrecking every transition, I looked even better afterwards and people realized it wasn't the computer doing everything! :-)
    ------------------
    DJ Twisted Panda
    http://twistedpanda.com @jeremysexton
    Gear: Kontrol S4, Kontrol F1, MidiFighter, iPad running Lemur

even as a new DJ alot of expierenced DJ's have to respect for a clubs gear, I would say be respectful of turntable and club gear
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

You can create a playlist and Traktor will cruise through it. I'm not sure really why you would need it to be random, just put the songs in random order when you load it.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast