Anyone here with ADD/ADHD?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Anyone here with ADD/ADHD?

Weird question, I know. Just wondering if anyone here has Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). And, if so, what effect (if any) the ADD or meds have on your DJing?

Aren't the meds for ADHD basically speed? In which case, I can't imagine it would be too detrimental...
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I have an extreme case of ADHD and high anxiety. Then i also have slight parkinsons/the shakes. In my case im on a high dossage of adderall xr and regular adderall then also small dossage of prozac. I have not let any of these things effect something i have a passion for.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Wizard

@fullenglishpint Is Dexedrine speed? If so, then yes. The only thing is if you have ADD, it makes you calm rather than hyper. It does seem to improve my mxing skills but I only take it when I have to focus. Otherwise it messes with my other meds

@chrisw I used to take Adderall when I was living in the States (and preferred it) but my GP in the UK told me it was unlicensed here. The ADD means my choices are often strangely tangential. Hehe. Now I'm learning to rein in my impulsive tendencies and not change styles too much, it seems to work for me.
    Isn't Adderall bad for Parkinsons?

Wow, personal psych meds being discussed on an internet forum, Are there no sacred boundaries anymore. and yes most of your commonly perscribed ADHD/ADD meds are amphetemines, but saying that if you have add amphetemenes are going to make you calm is pretty obvious, go look at someone that occasionally does low amounts of speed, the same effect just magnified a bit...(Not trying to say anyone isn't what their doctor says they are or anything)
    My Soundcloud: Bigheadmike

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    The whole DJ scene has been built on the backbones of people losing their warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    Mixing is a lot like farting. If you have to force it, its probably shit!

yeah its not good for parkinsons. But it helps me keep myself together.
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrld View Post
    confession time: I clicked on this thread only because my dirty mind made a connection between "6 analogues and 14 digitals" and "2 girls 1 cup".
    Setup: VAI-40, Nanokey2, APC20, Ableton, (Shit ton of VST), TP2, DN SC2000, LPD8 (RIP) MF3D (with custom Mapping FX for ableton for Turnado and Artillary2 (ill release it when its been perfected.) PM me if interested in the mapping or helping me with it.

Tech Wizard

As far as I know, the 'paradoxical' calming effect of stimulants on ADDers is not experienced by normal people. I wouldn't be the one to ask though, as I've never been normal.

Meds aside, I was more curious about the negative (or positive) impact the condition might have on DJs. As for boundaries, I don't see it being any more controversial or taboo than a physical impairment. It's not like I'm discussing a persistent Chlamydia infection :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    It's not like I'm discussing a persistent Chlamydia infection :eek:
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

My son has ADD, for years I tried to treat it in various natural manners, mostly diet and staying on top of him to focus, and got okay results, but he still struggled at school. I finally gave in and switched him to Ritalin and he's gone from a solid C student to an honor roll student.
    Last edited by photojojo; 04-17-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Quote Originally Posted by inov8 View Post
    As far as I know, the 'paradoxical' calming effect of stimulants on ADDers is not experienced by normal people. I wouldn't be the one to ask though, as I've never been normal.

Meds aside, I was more curious about the negative (or positive) impact the condition might have on DJs. As for boundaries, I don't see it being any more controversial or taboo than a physical impairment. It's not like I'm discussing a persistent Chlamydia infection :eek:
    Right…normal people get hyped up on them.

Aderall is racemic amphetamine, which means it's a mixture of detroamphetamine and levoamphetamine salts. dextroamphetamine is speed…leveoamphetamine is the mirror-image of the same molecule that ends up a lot weaker and slower acting in humans. Dexedrine is another name for dextroamphetamine used because organic chemistry is weird and people just kinda make shit up sometimes.

Aderall XR is the same thing with different shit in the pill that affects how long the pill takes to dissolve in your stomach.

Ritalin and concerta are methylphenidate, which is a different drug.

As far as the condition goes…it'd probably be harder to practice, and you probably get bored with songs before your floor does. The meds will help those issues similar to how they help (or possibly don't) the rest of your life.

If you're misdiagnosed as ADD, Adderall can be a lot of fun. To normal people, it's like mild speed that isn't cut with carpet cleaner.

Disclaimer: drugs are bad, mmkay.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast