VCI-100 - Return or Keep?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default VCI-100 - Return or Keep?

Hi all,

I just got myself my first controller, a VCi-100. I've had it about two weeks but can return it within the next week and get a refund. Problem is I've been working extra long hours lately so haven't had too much time to get to grips with it.

I've seen post-NAMM that there is a VCM-400. At the moment, I am using Traktor 3 but also have a copy of Traktor Pro which I plan to migrate to once they add in the old features they took away (Slave/Master, NMX…).

Is it worth sending it back and waiting a while for things to settle down? Is the VCI-100 not very suited to Traktor Pro? Normally, I'd break i the unit myself and make a decision but time has conspired against me.

I'd be grateful for any advice or suggestions. In the meantime, I'll try to stop the sidelong glances at the new Akai unit and Live 8.

Thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

the VCI-100 is suited for any DJ controller, just requires you to map it creatively.

You can make the VCI-100 work, and it has the added bonus of jog wheels. the VCM-400 has no jog wheels or crossfader, so if you want to have those, you should wait for another Vestax announcement, maybe of a VCI-400 sooner or later.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering where the crossfader was on the VCM-400. What's with that? As I don't scratch, the jogwheels are not entirely necessary. Might be fun to use for filters and FX tho.

I'm not someone who waits and agonizes over what the next big thing is gonna be - enjoy it while you can - but I thought I'd ask in case the next generation has already landed and would serve me better than what I already have. No restocking fee beats eBay any day.

I played out with Traktor for the first time recently and it was a less than stellar experience. I felt like I was working on a spreadsheet most of the time. Like I was in an advert for some new temp agency for clerical assistants. :eek: I would have given my back teeth for the tactile feedback of the VCI-100.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. Decisions, decisions…

did you play out without the VCI-100? I wouldn't recommend that.

I think they got rid of the crossfader cause it isn't necessary for Traktor Pro. You can do it all on Volume faders. I like my crossfader, though.

Jog wheels are nice, though. That's why I'm kinda reticent about my set up. Might find a way to implement my VCI-100 just to have the jog wheels.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Yeah, I did it with a mouse. Never again. I like a nice crossfader but recently I've been leaving it in the middle and using the channel faders. I think my mixing is better that way. Still, I like the option. It's like a PC user getting a Mac without the safety net of Boot Camp or VMware if things go wrong.

Just wondering whether it might be a useful dry/wet fader for FX? Hmmm…

What would you use your jog wheels for then?

Tech Convert

i hardly ever use the crossfader but i wouldnt want to go without it plus i like using the jog wheels when mixing.

Tech Wizard

I love the VCI-100SE, but i am also thinking about teaming with the VCM-400 for always on tap 4 deck control and the abilty to have so many more controlling options available to assign. I think this would be a killer combo.

Even though the vcm-400 has those a-c, b-d switches, I don't know what the experience would be like using them, especially if implemented using soft control in traktor pro, which just doesn't work at all.

I don't understand this mindset of not using the crossfader, I really don't. I use my volume faders to keep my levels steady while using the crossfader to move between the tracks. Dunno.

Though, my new set up is going to be much more focused on full muting functions, so we'll see how this goes.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I don't understand this mindset of not using the crossfader, I really don't. I use my volume faders to keep my levels steady while using the crossfader to move between the tracks. Dunno.

Though, my new set up is going to be much more focused on full muting functions, so we'll see how this goes.
    Thats how i work too especially now that i am using this crossband compression setup which pretty much requires that i mix that way. More on that later though.

Yeah, when I get my claws on Albeton we'll talk about that
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast