So I'm thinking about putting an SSD in Macbook Pro...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So I'm thinking about putting an SSD in Macbook Pro...

Alrighty dudes, I'm sure that we've all seen the blogpost about the SSD's and how they boost speed significantly. As a result of that video, I've REALLY wanted to put one of these drives in my Macbook Pro, because since I installed snow leopard a couple months ago, things have slowed down.

I began doing some research as to how much this would increase my performance, and from what I read, it all depends on the type of macbook you have. PCworld did some really great benchmark testing here.

Granted my baby is a bit older than this, I still feel like it would breath new life into her. In additon to a SSD, i plan to put 2 more gigs of ram into it as well.

-My Macbook Pro-
    Unibody
    2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    2 Gbs of ram
    Snow Leopard

So I guess my question is, Have any of you done this upgrade? How much of a performance upgrade did it give you? Was is worth dropping the cash on an SSD?

-Bence
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

Tech Wizard

Hey dude,
    I have a brand new 2011 15" Macbook Pro (2.2 ghz) with an SSD in it. I would say that before you drop all the cash on an SSD, I would start first with upgrading the memory. 2gb of ram these days doesn't cut it any more. I would start first with going to 4gb. It is a really cheap upgrade and will surprise you with the performance boost it gives you. I went from 4gb (stock) to 8gb in my MBP and didn't notice a huge change in terms of dj'ing.

So is a SSD worth it. It really depends on what you are doing with it. If it is a DJ only machine and you do a bunch of gigging, then yes. And only because if a drunked idiot knocks your laptop off the stand, the MB will likely survive without issue. If you are not gigging a lot, I would say it is NOT worth it. You don't need to performance it brings and will not notice any boost in Traktor or Serato (I haven't noticed any difference aside from load times).

If you are doing a bunch of other work, it may or may not be worth it. At this point I really think it is mostly for bragging rights (which I now have many).

So to conclude, if you got the cash to burn, go for it. If not, I wouldn't bother - wait for prices to fall on the 256gb units.

Cheers.
    2x CDJ 900 | DJM 900 Nexus | TSP2 | 2011 15" MacBook Pro 2.2Ghz | KRK RP6 | Sennheiser HD 25-1 mkII

i just did it a few weeks ago.

750gb WD Scorpio Blue 5400 RPM HDD (in optibay)
    60gb Vertex 2 SSD
    4gb of ram (gonna go to 8 when my bro gets back from italy and i put the 4 in his "black"book)

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27476

and yes, it was worth it. my macbook ('09) started acting sluggish it gave it a deffinate boost in speed / i needed a space upgrade anyways (my computer is all purpose - and i did use gig money on the upgrade).
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Hey dude,
    I have a brand new 2011 15" Macbook Pro (2.2 ghz) with an SSD in it. I would say that before you drop all the cash on an SSD, I would start first with upgrading the memory. 2gb of ram these days doesn't cut it any more. I would start first with going to 4gb. It is a really cheap upgrade and will surprise you with the performance boost it gives you. I went from 4gb (stock) to 8gb in my MBP and didn't notice a huge change in terms of dj'ing.
    thats cos traktor isn't RAM intensive, 2gb is enough for most people. (realistically, though i would advise an upgrade)
    So is a SSD worth it. It really depends on what you are doing with it. If it is a DJ only machine and you do a bunch of gigging, then yes. And only because if a drunked idiot knocks your laptop off the stand, the MB will likely survive without issue. If you are not gigging a lot, I would say it is NOT worth it. You don't need to performance it brings and will not notice any boost in Traktor or Serato (I haven't noticed any difference aside from load times).
    what exactly would you be expecting?

The fact is, as far as DJ'ing is concerned, other than knowing your information is safe and getting a bit more battery life, SSD's dont offer much of a benefit IMO. As far as general computer use goes they are awesome though.
    Last edited by Conall; 04-19-2011 at 05:29 PM.

I have 2GB ram in my (2009 unibody mac pro) macbook and wanted to buy 2 more GB, unfortunately, there are only 2 slots, so I can't re-use the 2 x 1GB sticks....I need to buy 2 x 2GB sticks.

Keep that in mind when pricing out new ram.

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    I have 2GB ram in my (2009 unibody mac pro) macbook and wanted to buy 2 more GB, unfortunately, there are only 2 slots, so I can't re-use the 2 x 1GB sticks....I need to buy 2 x 2GB sticks.

this is the same with almost any laptop ram upgrade.

The gist is this:

Let's use the thread DJnesquigs linked to to continue the discussion
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

haha lol. i def want the bitches.

but no, in all seriousness, thank you for the input.

i think i will spring for the extra ram and ssd.
    All I have to do is play music, and make sure it is fist pumpin material.

i upgraded to ssd+hdd in my macbook pro a year ago and i will never use a hdd for my system again. its like worlds of difference.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Tech Wizard

Good on ya! SSD is a fantastic and reasonably cost-affordable upgrade to almost any system. I've had a hybrid system running for about 18 months now and I haven't had a single regret.

By "hybrid" system I mean I've got a standard 500gb 5400rpm HDD, and an 80gb SSD running inside my Macbook Pro.
    The SSD runs my OS, applications, and my DJ music (only 5-10gb or so), this way I get maximum performance and stability when DJing.
    The 5400rpm HDD contains everything else. Movies, music, downloads, pictures etc.

To get this beastly upgrade you need to sacrifice your CD drive bay. This was a non-issue for me personally as I use much faster & larger USB flash drives to transfer information.
    Plus, after removing your CD drive, you can often find external enclosures which allow you to connect you CD drive via USB anytime you really need the CD functionality. (This site has a drive bay + external CD enclosure which worked perfectly for me)

Lifehacker has a really good step-by-step guide to installing an SSD

There are also some handy guides for those who are adventurous and want to enable/disable some OSX functions which help to maintain SSD performance and longevity.

Either way, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post

To get DDR speed you need to have 2 sticks regardless. That's what is called Double Data Rate.

If you have one stick of 1066 DDR 3 memory then it is really going to be running at 533 unless you install another stick.

juz sayin
    Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    senior citizen's attics, the garbage dump, swamps, underwater treasure chests, graveyards, hollowed out tree stumps, abandoned coal mines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast