Best traktor workflow for track collection on Server

Default Best traktor workflow for track collection on Server

Morning all,

First post on DJTT but something im desperately looking for a bit of guidance on.

Ive recently purchased a Proliant microserver in order to manage all the media needs of my house (Apple tv, Airport express).

I manage all of my music collection through iTunes as I found it the easiest way to organise my music, plus the handy integration with Traktor. Previously where I had all my tunes on the laptop only, I just created playlists for sets whilst in iTunes and then cherry picked in Traktor.

Now that im keeping all the music on my server, looking for a bit of advice as to the best process.

Anything I download from Beatport or wherever will be on my laptop first. I then push it to the 'Add to iTunes folder' on the server where it is incorporated into my collection. I dont want to duplicate tracks on two systems so I will probably remove from my laptop at this point.

Having not played around with this too much yet, does anyone know if I can just use my servers iTunes library (if browsing from laptop) and create playlists on that? Will traktor be able to use the library on my Server?

Should I then just import all of the tunes of each playlist into the Traktor collection? Effectively downloading from server? What if I add to these playlists, I will surely have to re-import? Would this creates duplicates on my laptop?

Ive got all of my collection on my laptop just now but I think im going to move away from that, store it all on the server, wipe the tracks off the laptop and just import what I want to use in Traktor, when needed. Trying to prevent the double library scenario where one has some tracks, and the other not :eek:

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finlay1888 View Post
    Should I then just import all of the tunes of each playlist into the Traktor collection? Effectively downloading from server? What if I add to these playlists, I will surely have to re-import? Would this creates duplicates on my laptop?
    This wont create duplicates.
    If you move the tracks to the server and delete the tracks from the laptop you can perform a Relocate and point to the new Music folder on the server and Traktor will fix the paths to the music on the server. You will of course need to add the new Servers Music folder and the iTunes library to Traktor Preferences as they will have changed.

I dunno much about Servers but i have iDisk setup so that i can see the folder in Traktor and play tracks from idisk.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post

I dunno much about Servers but i have iDisk setup so that i can see the folder in Traktor and play tracks from idisk.
    You do this while playing out, or just at home?
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Just at home. And only to see if it would work.

Might try it when i setup at my gig tomorrow. Probably be very slow but worth a shot. I cant see a practical usage for it in a live situation though unless it was for maybe a bar that wasnt actually having a DJ play. Maybe for background purposes.

Like i say, i know nothing about Servers or what they do and how they work unless its someone bringing me my dinner in which case can i get some more bread please :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    This wont create duplicates.
    If you move the tracks to the server and delete the tracks from the laptop you can perform a Relocate and point to the new Music folder on the server and Traktor will fix the paths to the music on the server. You will of course need to add the new Servers Music folder and the iTunes library to Traktor Preferences as they will have changed.
    I was more thinking that I would copy from the server into my collection. So essentially just use the path of iTunes (on server) and import to my local collection on laptop HD

Wont always have access to the server if im playing out!

Do you know if is there any dynamic way that Traktor can 'sync' to the iTunes playlists without me have to import every time I add a track to it?

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I was more thinking that I would copy from the server into my collection. So essentially just use the path of iTunes (on server) and import to my local collection on laptop HD

Wont always have access to the server if im playing out!

Do you know if is there any dynamic way that Traktor can 'sync' to the iTunes playlists without me have to import every time I add a track to it?
    The only way to automate this is the have Traktor import songs on startup, but it will do everything in iTunes then.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Not currently possible with playlists but you can select "Import On Music-Folders On Start Up" which will import ONLY new tunes added to iTunes.

As for the server stuff, you lost me at "I"

Sorry to hijack, but i have a similar problem.
    I am running TP2 on an external HDD, and my music library is on my main HDD. I have pointed iTunes to the library on my main HDD and it works. However, when i point TP2 to the same place, it says the library does not exist! any help please?

TIA, Lex.

What are the paths in Preferences to the iTunes XML and the Music folder.

don't worry, i fixed it. Both the disks were called 'Macintosh HD' so i changed one to 'macintosh HD Leopard' and it works now! TP2 was getting confuzzled :P