Disappearing collection on Mac external drive

Default Disappearing collection on Mac external drive

I had my PC running Windows 7 and had an NTFS formatted external hard drive where I store all my data as Windows 7 I found to be hideously unreliable (as all Windows incarnations are!).

I've since abandoned ship and jumped to OSX. I've installed Snow Leopard 10.6.7 on my PC nowwith everything running smoothly and fully working and recognised. I have also bought NTFS for Mac 8 so I can then read/write onto the external drive.

However, when I move things around on my external drive (taking the opportunity to cleanse and organise it better but everything staying on the external drive, just in a different file structure), strange things seem to be happening.

When I try and move things about, most of it is fine. However, I'm getting a couple of strange glitches. These are:

1) Files randomly disappear and/or change format
    As an example, I crate a new artist folder and move an album/EP folder into the artist folder to better organise my collection. It will all move ok and the mp3 will all be fine and within the album folder when I open it to check once it's moved. When I next open that artist folder, the album folder will have sometimes completely disappeared. Alternatively, it may have changed to a terminal file, or an unrecognised file format. When I click on it, it will give me an error ~43 saying the file cannot be located with the file then compeltely disappearing or, if one of the one that has randomly changed, open the terminal window.

The wird thing is that some of the new icons that replace the folder (whether it be terminal or unrecognised icons) are zero - 10kb at most and usually have no date created/modified data. However, they are taking up room on my total external drive capacity as if the full album/EP is actually there.

I have checked permissions and it ensures I have full read and write permissions for the drive. It's confusing as it's only happening to about 5-10% of the music which results in me losing them for good unless I figure this out. Not tried any other files yet (like pictures etc).

2) Random errors from Trash
    I've deleted some stuff but the Trash can won't empty. Something stay in there saying they can't be deleted as they're being used (and I'm pretty sure they are definitely not)

Anyone got any ideas on what may be causing the above? I had thought of moving everything onto my internal hard drive, reformatting the external to cleanse it fully and then moving everything back. However, I'm a bit wary of moving things due to the above issues and maybe losing valuabel stuff (like my entire music collection adn my entire photo backup collection!).

PS - my external is a 1TB Seagate drive that about 12 months old.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I'm not sure about the file's changing, but to force quit programs on a mac you press command+option+escape. Not sure what those would be on a PC.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

I know from reading your previous posts that you know exactly what you're doing regarding running a "Hackintosh". however i've never seen anything like this in nearly 10 years of owning Mac's

....so i'd have to presume this is something to do with running OSX on unsupported hardware!

(not having a go at you for doing that. I set up a little Dell netbook with OSX for my girlfriend, & it works perfectly)
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

This sounds like the filesystem-driver gets you into trouble.
    Use NTFS-3G (http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/) instead.

Don't expect much support for your hackintosh here though. Threads get closed as it violates the forum terms.
    You should also not use when spinning in a club/at a festival. It might be cool but Apple doesn't hesitate to sue the shit out of you.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    You should also not use when spinning in a club/at a festival. It might be cool but Apple doesn't hesitate to sue the shit out of you.
    It just my home PC anyway. But my laptop is the same.

But, from what I've researched (and I looked far and deep), they can't actually sue for it.

They sell the retail disc, and I bought it. There is a term i there saying it cannot be installed on non-Apple hardware. However, from what I gather, recent cases have shown that they can't actually enforce this as that term is illegal (in the UK at least). That's because once I bought the retail disc, it then becomes my possession to do whatever I want with, whether install on Mac or non-Mac or smash to smithereens with an axe.

In the UK at least, they cannot do this. That would be like Microsoft saying it's illegal to install Windows on any Mac-branded hardware (which is obviously stupid sounding, especially as Apple created bootcamp specifically to do this).

So, in the Uk at least, frommy research into it, Apple can;t actually do anything as the term used in the contract is void in the UK under UK law.
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

Tech Mentor

Are you ejecting the disc properly at the end of each session?
    From what I've read, the NTFS tools use buffers and caches which don't write to the disc immediately and need to be "ejected" to ensure the sw finishes the requested tasks.