Beginner in programming & coding look for helps n tips!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Post Beginner in programming & coding look for helps n tips!

I want to learn how to code...so natrually I turn to the DJTT community to see if anyone has any places to start/suggestions/books/tuturials theyd suggest?! I figure theres gotta be a few programmers on here somewhere!

Looking around on the internets it looks like Treehouse is going to be my jumping point...even though its going to cost me at least $25 a month...it looks effective, and also fun.
    Last edited by DJ_JCohh; 03-12-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: title edit
    13" MBP 4GB RAM // Kontrol S4 // MF3D // V-Moda LP II's // Rokit 6's // Sony MDR-V700's

Tech Mentor

there is an online coding academy.

Lots of different ways. "Sams Teach Yourself" and the usual "For dummies" books are usually pretty good to start. Have a look at code.org too.

The more you do, the easier it gets. So I recommend you to join some programming related forum and try answering/solving other user post. It works for me in past, and still work when I want to learn another language.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Here's a great free one, which is based off of Python:

How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
    http://www.openbookproject.net/think...on/english2e/#

The thing I like about this one is that the whole point is to teach you how to program, not just how to use Python. They are assuming you are brand new to the idea. And they are using a modern interpreted web language which is useful and not overly verbose.

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

That's a pretty good tutorial and will teach you the basic concepts.

What is your programming goal?

In general, a good programmer can code in any language, but it does take time to get there. But, something like the above will at least get you started!

Over time it becomes much less about a particular language, and more about solving problems, design, algorithms, etc.

if you want web programming to start you off I recommend codeWithJosh and developPHP on youtube as teachers of the absolute basics then nettuts and smashCoding for more advanced stuff when you get bored with the basics. I think it's good to start with javascript as it's pretty easy to get your head around and will make the transition to a more powerful language like python easier/

PS stackedOverflow is the best most helpful forum in existance,
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    if you want web programming to start you off I recommend codeWithJosh and developPHP on youtube as teachers of the absolute basics then nettuts and smashCoding for more advanced stuff when you get bored with the basics. I think it's good to start with javascript as it's pretty easy to get your head around and will make the transition to a more powerful language like python easier
    A more powerful language is C++

I'm still yet to attempt to learn C++ so can't comment on it, but python is plenty for lots of types of applications.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT #1 setup pimp 2012

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    I'm still yet to attempt to learn C++ so can't comment on it, but python is plenty for lots of types of applications.
    Yes of course it is. I'm a software engineer, so I work in C/C++ and do embedded stuff. Super nerdy.

Not more powerful, but more "standard". Power's behind the keyboad
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast