really??? ... bangs head
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default really??? ... bangs head

original article can be found wired .com...

NEW YORK -- Yesterday it was jukeboxes. Today, it's the iPod.
    An upscale New York nightclub has set up a unique DJ booth complete with a pair of iPods. The catch -- Patrons are invited to be the DJs.
    The club is called Apt. (pronounced A-P-T), a trendy lounge in Manhattan's meat packing district decorated to resemble a tony New York apartment. Housed in an anonymous warehouse at 419 West 13th St., the bar thrives on obscurity. There is no sign outside and no website.
    Next to the dark wood bar is the DJ table. The setup revolves around a standard mixer, which allows the DJ to fade between two music sources. But instead of the two standard turntables, a pair of iPods have been substituted.
    One is a 5-GB model containing about 1,000 songs, the other a 10-GB model with 2,000 songs. Connected by headphone jacks, the iPods sit on Plexiglass blocks, one on each side of the mixer.
    Would-be DJs take a numbered ticket from a deli-style dispenser next to the DJ desk. A stack of printouts of all 3,000 songs are available to help DJs prepare their set list. The printout also provides a quick guide to DJ etiquette, including the rule, "Playing of any heavy metal ballads will result in immediate expulsion from the premises."
    With 3,000 songs to choose from, patrons play everything from Black Sabbath to Basement Jaxx.
    Everyone gets seven minutes to play a set; the time is counted down on a giant digital clock placed in front of the mixer.
    Matt Maland, 27, a part-time DJ, has even figured out how to make the iPods scratch. By hitting the center button twice in quick succession, the music backs up a fraction.
    "It's not really scratching," he said. "It's a phony effect. People don't throw their hands in the air, but it's amusing I guess."
    Maland has played at Apt. three or four times recently. "It's fun," he said. "It's different. It's a challenge. You have to think what songs go together more than vinyl because you can't beat-match."
    Maland said he hadn't come across a similar setup anywhere else in New York. "It's funny because it's kind of an obvious idea," he said.
    The iPod DJ setup has been operating for just over one month, and provides hours of boozy, gregarious fun. Half the bar crowds around the mixing desk, offering advice or criticism or just dancing away.
    "It's pretty easy," said Sai Blount, the lounge's music promoter, who spends most evenings manning the setup, patiently helping people. "We made the whole mixing thing pretty simple for them."
    Blount said iPod DJing has become a major attraction. The fun starts at 9:30 and runs until 3 or 4 a.m., every night of the week.

i kno its an old article ... but really?

Last edited by Eliot Han; 04-22-2011 at 12:45 PM.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

grrrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Tech Guru

Wait 'till the music associations catch wind of this?

theres gonna be hell to pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Meh, it's the meatpacking district. Douchebags hangout there
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Meh, it's the meatpacking district. Douchebags hangout there
    There is no truer statement than this. I feel dirty anytime i go near that area.

why's it called the 'meatpacking' district?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

LOL, talk about skimping on the DJ.

Tech Mentor

I ran into one of those ipod DJs at a party last night. It was not cool in any way.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast