Using Ableton to warp tracks for Traktor

Default Using Ableton to warp tracks for Traktor

I mostly spin old (acid house) music which often goes out of time, beat sync wise.

I've got a copy of Ableton 8 and followed this tutorial but I just can't quite figure it out.

I get to the point of setting the 1.1.1 point and clicking 'warp from here'. Before I go any further I do the 'Set the Length to 4 Measures' but I have no idea what this actually achieves?

So back to the track - the metronome stays in time for maybe 14 bars then drifts out and you look at the waveform and it's off (screengrab here) - I select a marker (as shown in the screengrab) and click 'Warp from here' but it doesn't seem to do anything - and surely the waveform should shift? Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms how I actually get the track to stay in time?

I've never used Ableton so apologies if this is a very stupid question - I'm very confused! Any help much, much appreciated.

Abletons autowarp always gives mixed results. You're much better of learning to warp manually. There are loads of really good tutorials online.

TBH, you'd probably be better off learning to beat-grid in Traktor. If you warp the tracks in Ableton, you'll have to render each track to disc in order to use the warped file in Traktor.

Tech Mentor

And your probably loading 320mp3's in to ableton, which is rendering huge wav files...which are taking up needless space on your hard disk.

Just figure out beat grids in traktor, much handier.
    Macbook/DJM800/2x Kontrol x1's/Traktor Scratch Pro

Tech Guru

traktor beatgridding isn't always the answer, ableton warping is essential if you use un-quantized music or vinyl rips.
    it's easy enough to pickup too, and a piece of cake to apply to 4/4 dance genre like acidhouse.

here's some links
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ableton+8+warp+tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by prettyconfused View Post
    I mostly spin old (acid house) music which often goes out of time, beat sync wise.

I've got a copy of Ableton 8 and followed this tutorial but I just can't quite figure it out.

I get to the point of setting the 1.1.1 point and clicking 'warp from here'. Before I go any further I do the 'Set the Length to 4 Measures' but I have no idea what this actually achieves?

So back to the track - the metronome stays in time for maybe 14 bars then drifts out and you look at the waveform and it's off (screengrab here) - I select a marker (as shown in the screengrab) and click 'Warp from here' but it doesn't seem to do anything - and surely the waveform should shift? Can anyone explain to me in layman's terms how I actually get the track to stay in time?

I've never used Ableton so apologies if this is a very stupid question - I'm very confused! Any help much, much appreciated.
    I'm also new to ableton and I agree with finding youtube clips on warping. I think a really good one to start with are the videos from Dubspot.

Quote Originally Posted by eeloe View Post
    Just figure out beat grids in traktor, much handier.
    Except that they can't deal with varying tempos and they're a lot less precise.

The problem isn't with Live, it's that the OP still thinks that Live's auto warping features are ever accurate.

Also, abletonlivedj.com/forums. They know what they're doing. I haven't seen any free video on dubspot that was worth the bandwidth, and there are several that are specifically harmful. If you follow all the bad advice I've seen them give, you'll be clipping the f*ck out of your sound card, playing out of time, spending way too much money on useless stuff, and completely unaware of how much you suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Also, abletonlivedj.com/forums. They know what they're doing.
    Thanks, will give that a try.