Ableton Live DJs: How do you organize your music?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ableton Live DJs: How do you organize your music?

Hey guys,

I don't know if this question has been asked often to the Ableton DJs but how do you guys organize your Mp3s when they're not in a live set? For example today I just finished warping about 15-20 tracks and they're all stuck in a folder on my hard drive, but I want to edit their id3 tags and stuff using itunes but when I import them into iTunes, iTunes just makes copies of them and stores it in the iTunes music folder without the ".asd" files. Is there a way to just edit the ID3 Tags without moving it to a new folder? I'm running OSX 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard).

Thanks for the help!

P.s. I'm new to ALDJing and I'm used to TP2 where my workflow was more like: Fix 320kbps mp3 with Platinum Notes->Import into iTunes->Open in Finder->Find Key Using Mixed In Key-> Edit ID3 Tags->Import to traktor collection.

kid3 edits id3 tags

In iTunes' settings you can tell it to not import new tracks to the itunes music folder, but leave them where they are, that would work. But I would recommend not using iTunes, but a dedicated program instead.

What Lysgaard said. There's an option in iTunes so it doesn't fuck with moving your music around. I use iTunes for all of my organization, but I also am very particular about where I keep it on my hard-drives (and how the actual file names are tagged).
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Lysgaard View Post
    In iTunes' settings you can tell it to not import new tracks to the itunes music folder, but leave them where they are, that would work. But I would recommend not using iTunes, but a dedicated program instead.
    Any suggestions for that dedicated program? I've got Kid3 suggested so far.

Quote Originally Posted by BigC View Post
    What Lysgaard said. There's an option in iTunes so it doesn't fuck with moving your music around. I use iTunes for all of my organization, but I also am very particular about where I keep it on my hard-drives (and how the actual file names are tagged).
    So any tips you can give me on the organization part? I pretty much just stuck all the "processed" mp3s in a folder with their .asd files. If I rename the mp3s will this affect the warping and the .asd files? I was thinking of having a main folder and splitting it into smaller sub folders by Key

For PC, MediaMonkey all the way.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by DJKeyWee View Post
    For PC, MediaMonkey all the way.
    Ah yeah heard of that one. I'm using OSX though.

Damn.. sorry, skipped that in your original post. Well does Trainspotter help? http://www.tspotter.net/

For MAC user... how good/bad "Wine" is to run PC apps?
    Last edited by Steve Zorilow; 04-24-2011 at 11:47 PM.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Ah yeah forgot about trainspotter. Well I think I'll just stick to iTunes and find that preference fix since I'm already familiar with how to use it. I've never used wine before because I've never really had a use for it so sorry if I can't help there.

iTunes should be fine for ID3 editing, especially if you use it anyway, if - as said above - you set it not to make a copy of your music but to leave it where it is - it's in the Preferences > Advanced, untick "Copy files to iTunes library".
    I blog at: Digital DJ Tips and I'm on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast