First club gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First club gig

Tech Convert

Default First club gig

This Tuesday I have finally got my first gig at a club. As I have never played out except for house parties I was wondering if anyone can walk me through what I need to do in order to play on my VCI-100 and my audio 2 DJ soundcard. Do I need to bring any other cords, pads or anything else besides my VCI-100 and soundcard? I am using the clubs mixer so is there an output I plug into my soundcard? Basically I'm entirely clueless and would appreciate if anyone can help me prepare for what I need to do.

go check the shit out early... see if theyll let you set up in an off time. like when the club is just about to open or before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Quote Originally Posted by djnesquigs View Post
    go check the shit out early... see if theyll let you set up in an off time. like when the club is just about to open or before hand.
    this is a good idea.

they often have all the shit you need, but they may not. alongside your gear, bring a power bar and some cables (rca to 1/4 inch and rca to rca should be fine)
    Maschine Routine with live musicians
    http://youtu.be/ubEQZSvocto
    fb: http://www.facebook.com/djizn

Welcome to DJTT! Your best bet is to go to the club and check things out in advance so you'll know exactly what you'll need. Ask the person who hired you what gear they have.

Start digging around the articles on this site and I'm sure you'll find a lot of great info for your gig.

Good luck!

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

on tip i was given which proved to save my bacon, was take some spare leads and some spare fuses also, my rca leads were giving me terrible interferance (although good quality leads) so i swapped them over and sound quality was fine, as for fuses, they just take up less space than spare power cables, you never know what could go wrong jusp better to be prepared for everything. good luck!

^^^that...

always bring duplicates of shit and a maglight never hurt anyone -- cept for stupid people coming into the booth trying to act like they know whats going on and touch your gear while your playing

(i had a friend of mine keep coming up to my shit on friday and try to spin the jogs on the s4.... i almost pimp slapped her... the maglight woulda sent a better message tho.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Minimum things to bring;

2 pairs of cables for the Audio2 (a 5' and a 20')
    RCA connectors to 1/4" and XLR
    flashlight
    4 USB 2.0 cables
    One extension cable for every plug you have
    a power strip
    a grounded extension cable for the power strip
    a book of backup CDs if they have their own decks there, just in case everything goes to shit
    You will probably plug your gear into the DJ mixer, but you may be able to run straight into a DI box of mixer, if they'll let you. That's always nice.

Talk to the promoter or owners or whoever is in charge about being able to show up an hour early to check up and make sure everything fits and can run as needed. Usually that comes off as a good thing regardless. It's important to have backups of all necessary equipment, and something just in case everything goes straight to failure.

Good luck
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Thanks for all the replies, you guys are life savers I have been stressing out like crazy about this. I am going to go out the electronics store today to pick up the stuff I need and some spares.

You will probably plug your gear into the DJ mixer, but you may be able to run straight into a DI box of mixer, if they'll let you. That's always nice.
    Can anyone walk me through this process? Like what would I do differently if I was plugging into the mixer vs. running straight into the DI box? What cords and cables would I be using? Sorry if this painfully basic but I literally have no experience with setting up external mixers and my worst nightmare is that I am going to get in there and pull the wrong plug or not be able to set up right and I don't want to look like an idiot in front the promoter/owner/other DJs etc.

I found this article: http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/03/0...-up-in-a-club/, which was very helpful, but I remember reading another one similar to it that went into even more detail, does anyone know what I'm talking about or have a link to it?

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

If they give you access to an external mixer or a DI box it's just going to come down to what kind of plugs it has. If they give you access to a DI box ONLY use it if there's a sound guy. And ALWAYS ask which channel you should plug into on a mixer before you do. Never unplug anything without permission. This is not the case with the DJ mixer, in my opinion. If there is an open channel on it, plug in. If there isn't just make sure you can unplug the deck, which probably won't be a problem.

If there's no sound guy just make sure there is an open channel on the mixing board and plug in using the appropriate connection. There'll probably be a Tape In that you can route straight to the master fader.

You're stressing yourself out, though. Calm down, deep breath. This is, in the end, the easy part. It's there club and they shouldn't expect you to know where to plug in.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    If they give you access to an external mixer or a DI box it's just going to come down to what kind of plugs it has. If they give you access to a DI box ONLY use it if there's a sound guy. And ALWAYS ask which channel you should plug into on a mixer before you do. Never unplug anything without permission. This is not the case with the DJ mixer, in my opinion. If there is an open channel on it, plug in. If there isn't just make sure you can unplug the deck, which probably won't be a problem.

If there's no sound guy just make sure there is an open channel on the mixing board and plug in using the appropriate connection. There'll probably be a Tape In that you can route straight to the master fader.

You're stressing yourself out, though. Calm down, deep breath. This is, in the end, the easy part. It's there club and they shouldn't expect you to know where to plug in.
    Sounds good, thank you so much for the help, your making this process a lot less stressful for me. Ill be sure to check back in after the show and let you guys know how it went.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast