14-bit MIDI and the VCI-100
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default 14-bit MIDI and the VCI-100

For all you tech-heads out there, my latest burning question is whether or not we may be able to develop a firmware flash for the VCI-100 that gets it to send 14 bit midi on the jogs and pitch faders. My hunch is that it's not possible owing to the hardware, but I've seen the DJTT community pull off a lot of amazing stunts, so...
    (Dreaming of crystalline super-precise articulated scratches on the controller that's got it all. Well, almost.)
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Reverse engineering the firmware is one way, another way would be to pray to god that the 1.4 firmware contains 14bit midi !

Yes... i said v 1.4

Can someone explain what 14 bit midi is, or point me in the right direction .. i'm new to all this.

Cheers
    Gav

14 bit midi is basicly using 2 midi messages instead of one, the two messages form a single message which is the range ends up being about 0 - > 16000 while standard midi only has a range between 0 -> 127.

The result is that 14bit midi is alot more accurate.

wow ... amazing !!! and theres a chance of this happeing in 1.4 then ?

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I think that that is the most obvious improvement for the VCI-100 so I would be suprised if it didnt.

If/when v1.4 is released would the current firmware upgrade kit allow you to flash to 1.4 or would a new piece of kit be available?

Its still the same unit so no reason why the existing kit could not upgrade the firmware as its just a way of connecting to the machine and the firmware is just software blasted to the hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Its still the same unit so no reason why the existing kit could not upgrade the firmware as its just a way of connecting to the machine and the firmware is just software blasted to the hardware.
    Thanks for the quik reply! I can't wait until the kit is back in stock

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I'm working on the next batch of update kits with Ean, hopefully wont be to far off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast