becoming a wedding dj
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default becoming a wedding dj

hey guys been thinking about starting a wedding and party DJ business. Not got a clue where to start or what i need any help would be much appreciated

U kno how to mix and are good ? Then next u build ur fan base (Facebook soundcloud) and a website. And wait

Download iTunes

Trollface.jpg

No clue, goodluck though.
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Mouth to mouth advertising.

I get offered gigs like crazy because I handed out a few cards at my Church once... If you are religious at all that is...
    Traktor/Itch: Xone Dx - MidiFighter x1
    Ableton: Livid Code - iPad - KP3
    Tech: Macbook Pro 17", intel i7, 8gb RAM, 500gb HD 7200RPM

Quote Originally Posted by tyfurious View Post
    I get offered gigs like crazy because I handed out a few cards at my Church once... If you are religious at all that is...
    +1 Didn't even think of this

Go to www.djtutor.com look for the brian s redd and a1 party dj video's. Loads of good information for wedding dj's
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

Tech Guru

you know whats funny is that TODAY...a good friend of mine asks me to recommend her a good Wedding DJ because all the quotes she got were too high. So I give her my boys number she just sent me an email and it said

"is this guy any good. He's only charging 500 bucks and the other quotes I got were for 1100 and 1400 but those guys had uplighting"

1400 for a wedding gig. Holy Shit. I've always thought those gigs were kinda korny but that's some good bread. Obviously the investment in equipment is more and so is set up time...but that some good money considering a large portion of the night is background music.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    you know whats funny is that TODAY...a good friend of mine asks me to recommend her a good Wedding DJ because all the quotes she got were too high. So I give her my boys number she just sent me an email and it said

"is this guy any good. He's only charging 500 bucks and the other quotes I got were for 1100 and 1400 but those guys had uplighting"

1400 for a wedding gig. Holy Shit. I've always thought those gigs were kinda korny but that's some good bread. Obviously the investment in equipment is more and so is set up time...but that some good money considering a large portion of the night is background music.

It's good money for a good reason. It's a HUGE responsibility. I've been considering it, but I feel I would need to tag along with a veteran for a few first. You really NEED to know your stuff MC wise. Playing the music is only half of it, while being the master of ceremonies is the other. You have to keep in mind that you can make or ruin someones day that is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event. Chicks plan that shit their whole life. Oh... and you can get sued for ruining someones day.

The bride is the reason i avoid these, they send you a list of songs, romantic slow songs,
    you meet them several times before the big day, discuss every minute detail, everything is planned.

you show up, the speeches are over running, you cant set up till their done, the band
    shows up and takes up the entire stage, you play first, do the first dance, invite everyone to join them everything is good. the band come on, do some rock n roll etc finish late cause everything is late, from here on its damage control, people will want party music vs the brides list, you set a price fro x hours of music versus hotel manager tapping his watch, and watch that the band dont unplug you as they're taking their rig apart.

These gigs are far harder than playing a nite club, you've got an age span of 80yrs to keep happy, with multiple genres and family favourites to squeeze in. There will be a sulky 15 yr old boy asking for metal, a 17yr old girl demanding Gaga again. and a drunk 32yr old always the brides maid never the bride demanding something good, with out specify'ing (Hence never the bride).

I've done 4 weddings in 12yrs of working and to be frank, i never want to do another, the money is better but they're stressful, and because you're the last guy there, you'll get the grief if the bride didnt like her starter.

First one i did went smoothly, second the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate, then at last song of the night they made out like i'd set off the alarm, third, the couple had a fist fight in the lobby at 2am and the bride announced their divorce on my mic
    and the last one went quite well but i decided they're just not my cup of tea.

I've played one funeral too, never ever ever ever again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast