(OT) Dropbox

Thread: (OT) Dropbox

Default (OT) Dropbox

Just thought id write this as im well impressed with it. Only heard of it thanks to this place as this is what seems to be the norm for doing the mix trains. (i will get my 30 mins done this week by the way for the one im supposed to be doin) it just works so well, as friend at work is doing a kind of all day/night gig on Friday, basically he he plays scouse house/donk shite lol, but for during the day when there is a bbq on and bouncy castle etc as there is a wedding happening apparantly??? he need some funky house to be played so ive just shared a folder on dropbox with him and dropped a few of my mixes in there and he has them straight away and is burning them off to play which i think is pretty cool well done dropbox
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Just signed up to this myself so good to hear your views!!
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

I am a big fan, especially working on work related things at home and accessing them at work via the dropbox website.

Also, if you watch some of the tutorial videos on the dropbox site they give you more space for free
    PC | TSP2 | A8 | S4 | X1 | T1200MK2

Beat Gridding Tutorial

Tech Mentor

Dropbox (and the other similar services) are invaluable to the way I work. If configured correctly, you can even use it as an online backup system as well..

I have it on ALL of my devices (2 notebooks(windows/linux), 1 netbook, 3 desktop windows machines, 1 desktop linux box, 1 iMac, 1 iPhone -- yeah, I'm in I.T.)

Dropbox keeps everything in sync all the time, across all my systems.

REAL shame it's only 5GB, though...

If Windows Skydrive ever catches up (25GB!) I'll be happy.

I'm a huge fan of Dropbox. DJ Related things I keep in my Dropbox Folder:
    - My DJ Music Collection (I've paid to upgrade to 50GB, and will soon be upgrading to 100GB)
    - My Native Instruments settings folder (which I then symlink into its normal spot in my home directory)
    - Installers and Keys for all DJ software I use
    - An "Incoming" Folder of tracks I've been meaning to check out
    - Shared Music Folders with some friends (many files from here make it to the Incoming Folder)

The first 3 allow me to get up and running on a brand new laptop if mine were to break or get stolen.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djoverzero View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Dropbox. DJ Related things I keep in my Dropbox Folder:
    - My DJ Music Collection (I've paid to upgrade to 50GB, and will soon be upgrading to 100GB)
    - My Native Instruments settings folder (which I then symlink into its normal spot in my home directory)
    - Installers and Keys for all DJ software I use
    - An "Incoming" Folder of tracks I've been meaning to check out
    - Shared Music Folders with some friends (many files from here make it to the Incoming Folder)

The first 3 allow me to get up and running on a brand new laptop if mine were to break or get stolen.
    The only issue I have with that much data in the cloud is the crappy upload speeds ISP's in Canada provide... I'm sitting behind a 16meg connection with a measly 850k upload... 50gb would take forever to upload (initially, updates are of course much faster)...

Great idea storing your settings folder... assuming you keep your backup systems in sync (the music at least) getting back up and running again should take minutes...

upload speeds are the biggest current drawback of any cloud service. hopefully internet providers will one day smarten up and increase upload traffic, but i can't see them ever doing it here in AUS. there's just not enough competition over here with only a few providers and only a couple of wholesalers.

it kills me being in the multimedia business and having to upload video to youtube and vimeo, or raw footage to clients overseas like ESPN.

i uploaded something to ESPN a few weeks ago, 2gig took me 17 hours! (and i had to split the file into 50mb parts and upload one at a time or the upload stream kept crapping out!)

it's just not acceptable! i really want to backup all the family photos and such to a service like google's online backup, but at about 300gb - and with how long the 2gb took me im not that enthused anymore!!

because of this i have actually thought about looking into getting an enterprise connection from a provider here in AUS with a maximum upload speed, and offer an uploading service for a fee so people can backup their data online to their chosen service.