What's your approach to writing a track ???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What's your approach to writing a track ???

Hi All,

Ive been attempting for a while to get into a bit of production but i haventa clue how to tackle it.

I have Ableton and before getting bogged down with plugins and vsts i would like to basically see how someone would approach writing a track using only abletons functionality?

Does anyone care to show (basics, nothing fancy) or could you point me in the direction of somewhere to look. I'm into techno so in my eyes that should be pretty simple as its all pretty basic and repetetive.

Cheers
    Gav

EDIT : Sorry for the title !! Just triedto edit but it appears i can't once i've posted

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    EDIT : Sorry for the title !! Just triedto edit but it appears i can't once i've posted
    No, but I can

<insert maniacle laughter>

In answer to your question, I think workflow is a really personal thing. The best way for me to develop my workflow was to get one of those Power! books and as I learned how things worked I figured out how I liked to do it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

I am starting with production also, trying to create some minimal tech tracks. I am using Cubase, and learned some basics using Sequel2 (home user software). My approach (not sure if its a good one) is to come up with some melody idea (with minimal is simple) , try to put it into sound and then create the drum pattern, then bass, and later effects and other enhancements. I have try to keep it very simple. Having issues with the next steps which involves getting all the levels right, equing, etc. Now I am getting a very flat sound, so probably need to work on this stage now, use of filters, compressors , effects...
    Also trying to download some nice sound libraries for loops and samples.

My suggestion is to learn the basics with a non professional software so you donīt get frustrated for not understanding. Check out sequel 2 and its tutorials...
    http://www.sequel-music.net/home.html

Pay alot of attention to the actual structure of the song (if you don't it's sort of like driving in the middle of the night with no lights on something I did for too many years)

Pick one program and learn it inside and out do this for all aspects like you're DAW ,Drums , Synths ect...

Do Not monitor too loud all you're doing is fatiguing your ears .

If you like to get a buzz on when you're workin on tracks try not to do it every time . I only try to do it when I'm doing sound design or mixing drums and song structure never seem to come together right if I'm blazed .

And one of my biggest pet peves is not using presets and sample CDs yeah it might sound good but honestly it's not yours and have this great chance that someone elses toon is gonna sound alot like yours .

I think, using sample CD's is a great way to start if you've never produced a track before. You can arrange your tracks they way you want and get a feel for building a track.

The reason I say this, is because you can build/arrange a track quite quickly just by dragging loops to get it the way you want it to sound without becoming frustrated too quickly...and giving up entirely.

As you continue to produce, you become more familiar with how a song should be structured and why certain elements of music sound good in certain places or in a certain way. This is when you start to experiment and start making your OWN sounds/melodys/drum patterns.

As long as you choose to really experiment with sounds and make your own compositions, you then start to find your groove and your style of music. This is where you find your 'style' and originality.

This is just my opinion and how I see things, my way of thinking may be completely off from a professional producer/composer.

Cheers all. Some godo info there. Maybe i will start trying to put together some tracks from the samples already in ableton and see what i come up with. Cheers all for the replys.

I think my problem is i'm attacking this at a point where i havent seen how anyone else works at all so its like i'm inventing it for the first time if you get me.

I'll just dive in and seewhere it takes me.

Thanks
    G

I either start with a sound/loop or with a nice sound project skeleton.
    Just add water from there.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-23-2009 at 07:22 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    The best way for me to develop my workflow was to get one of those Power! books and as I learned how things worked I figured out how I liked to do it.
    What are these Power! books you speak of ?

G

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    What are these Power! books you speak of ?

G
    Powerbooks on acid!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

sorry still doesnt mean anything hahahaha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast