Family party
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family party

Tech Wizard

Default Family party

My family does a lot of parties, about 2 or 3 a month, and since I DJ'd the last New Years party they always ask me to dj for the partys. The thing is that as we all know DJ equipment can be very expensive and we all want the new gear. Here is the big question, is it right to charge?
    Just a broke college student trying to pay my way through college by Djing

Setup: HP G62 3GB Dual-Core 2.3GHz; Traktor Pro 2; Numark Mixtrack; Creative Soundcard.

i would say no... family is family!

a tip jar at the dj booth could be acceptable, but i definitely wouldn't charge my family.

..but that's just me!

charge ur family? duuuuuduudeeeee
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I would accept....

Washing Tokens
    Ironing IOU's
    Car Washes
    Dish Duty.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Squeeze the bastards for every penny they're worth.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

This is a difficult one i would say as if it was once in a blue moon then i would agree with above but 3 a month! thats one wekend off a month.

....but then again your doing something you love so it could be worse
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

is good experience....
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Family as in mom dad bro sis, or as in 3rd cousin Louis, Mom dad etc raised you so i think you can dj and call it even. Infact you still owe them.
    3rd cousin Louis, is someone you know who's sort of distantly related, use the normally "i charge X, but because you're family i can do it for X/2."

try and be like... but i cant do a gooooood job wihtout speakers (insert other gear here)!!!!

buy me some? and serato? i have a friend whos got a harddrive i can copy 4 u. :P
    Last edited by Nesquigs; 04-27-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Ya I've heard one song. It's called Skrillex.
    13" Macbook - 256gb SSD, 750gb HDD, 8gb Ram ❘ DDJ-SX | HDJ-2000
    Kontrol Z1 | Midifighter 3D | Kontrol X1

i dont know how close the family members are to you,
    but IMHO... you cant charge family...
    as someone already stated, its good experince for you...
    however, if you have a paid gig that is on at the same time as one of your family partys, do the paid gig. and see if you can get as many of your family/friends to show up to support you. if the family partys are becoming a chour or are effecting your personal life like time with GF or taking you away from paid gigs, then dont do them so much, but if your just floating around with notting much better to be doing, then just have fun doing them. use the oppurtunity to branch out to get real gigs, make up some mix cds and business cards and give them out to family and friends to give out to other people, even if they just talked about you, the word of mouth is bound to get you something, im sure there will be friends of friends needing a dj for a 21st/30th or something like that.and for gigs like that you can charge.
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast