netbooks

Thread: netbooks

Tech Wizard

Default netbooks

So, I don't want to start another mac vs PC debate, but I was wondering what 'class' of laptop people use as their performance laptop. Is it your daily laptop you do all your email/internet browsing on? Is it a netbook? Is it a huge 17" one that shows tons of info onscreen and has enough horsepower to do entire productions? Or is it a 10" netbook you can fit in any bag?

Right now I basically have one laptop I do everything on, including production, and I also use it for work so I bring it pretty much everywhere I go. It has a regular spinning type hard drive and although I'm careful with it, I'm afraid I'm shortening its life by bringing it around, plus not wanting it to crash during a gig. I produce in win7 64 bit, but I dual-boot into XP 32 bit for trakor, which works fine and I've never had a problem with. So how about the rest of you, is it a spare laptop, or your main machine? and if it is your main machine, are you worried about trashing it or having it stolen at the club, or getting a virus from browsing the web, etc?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I have a beast of a 17" laptop. I really like it, but it's a massive pain in the ass to travel with. It's my general use laptop, but I do very little on it. I think 15"ers are the sweet spot these days for size/weight and portability.

I DJ on Windows 7 64-bit in Traktor and haven't had a crash in YEARS.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

My 17" Macbook is my do it all machine. I throw hell at this thing and it just keeps on going.. I do agree with DvlsAdvct though, a 15"er would be a perfect travel size, cause the 17" granddaddy does start to become a pain.. And now these damn macbook airs.. haha, i feel like i'm carrying a desktop around with me compared to alot of the laptops today..
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

I have a 15" power house of a MacBook. Love it. Use it for everything.

I have a 15" HP. I think that 15" is the perfect balance between enough screen area to be able to see clearly without being too gigantic
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinoize View Post
    "Hey bro, you got any Skrillex? How about Deadmaufive?"
    http://www.mixcloud.com/robindore/

15" Dell .. no probs here other than setting up a few parameters so windows doesnt do any funny stuff during a set.

↯↯ OFFICIAL SITE // MY SETUP ↯↯

13 Macbook here and with Traktor 2 the 2 decks/2 sample decks take 90% of the screen. If it wasnt for the Browse button it woud be straight up unusable.
    Erase. Stop. Start.

I've a 15@ Dell Inspiron 1520. It's about 5 years old. I did strip the CPU out though, upgraded to a Core 2 Duo (from a Celeron), upgraded the RAM and modified it to install Mac OSX on it. Runs like a dream now!

Saying that, it ran pretty solid running Windows 7 64-bit before that as long as I cleansed it at least once a week,. If I forgot, it usually crashed for one reason or another!
    Ableton 9.7.5, Native Instruments Komplete Ultimate 11, MOTU 828 Mk2, Nektar Impact LX61+, Ableton Push, Native Instruments Kore 2, and a random selection of soft synths and sample libraries.
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Core i7 4960X Extreme Edition 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, SanDisk Ultra Extreme SSDs and a GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GPU.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

15" MBP that's mine and mine only. iMac is for the kids and family.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

i have a 13" mbp I use SSL so 2 decks with live running on the 3rd deck. I would love to have a 15" but something tells me to hold out for a bit.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |